Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf has attached these 6 pictures to this report. The message is below.
A 20" Juniata smallie.
A farm pond bass, caught on a Whitlock hare water pup.
The striper.
A Susquehanna smallie.
A Raystown largemouth.
Maiden Creek bass.

Report at a Glance

General RegionPennsylvania
Specific Locationlocal rivers and a farm pond
Dates FishedJune 22-30
Time of DaySunrise to sundown most days
Fish CaughtSmallmouth, Largemouth, Longear Sunfish, and a Striper
Conditions & HatchesSunny mostly. Although we had a heavy swimbait hatch a few days, and spinnerbaits others, some fish were caught on the fly, including a 17" smallie Marvin caught on a wooly bugger.

Details and Discussion

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 5, 2017July 5th, 2017, 1:37 pm EDT
So my nephew Marvin returned to Pennsylvania for our fourth annual outing, but a bit later in the year this go around, to hit the warm water fishing at an optimum time. He used his considerable warm water fishing skills to score big while he was here, catching the most and the biggest fish almost every day. We started with guide Juan Veruete floating the Juniata two days for smallmouth. Then came heavy rain that blew all the rivers out, so we fished a friend’s farm pond and caught some largemouths. Next we caught smallies on the Susquehanna. Our final float was on Maiden Creek and the Schuylkill where we caught largemouth, smallmouth, and longear sunfish. Marvin had a follow and a hit from a big musky as well, but the fish eluded the hook somehow.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 5, 2017July 5th, 2017, 2:23 pm EDT
Looks like the Boys are having some fun!!! -Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 5, 2017July 5th, 2017, 2:46 pm EDT
Never pass up an opportunity for good warmwater fishing, especially with a fly rod! Nice looking bass! It's popper season! Also, saw the first big mayfly hatch out of the lake, and that means Cooke Pond smallie time!

Glad you two have established an annual fishing trip routine. Different adventures every year! My buddies Joe and Todd will be coming up in the fall this year, just to mix it up because their first two trips were in the spring. Again, good trip and fun times!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 6, 2017July 6th, 2017, 12:24 pm EDT
It was a great adventure, Spence. We caught over 50 bass a couple of days, and saw all kinds of water. And I learned some new things about spin fishing, which I've largely neglected of late.

Jonathon, we feel lucky to have found this shared interest that brings us together. Our family is relatively scattered all over the U.S. now, and our trips bring back memories and help ground us in a common heritage.

All best to you two Troutnuts, who I've known now for more than a little while. Glad to have you as vicarious fishing buddies.

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 9, 2017July 9th, 2017, 1:25 pm EDT
Louis,

Did you hire a guide for the Raystown trip? It looks like a nice boat with downriggers.

BTW I went to the Tully this morning. At 7:30 there were big clouds of mating Tricos. By 8:00 a.m. the surface of the stream was covered with thousands of spinners.

The flow was 304 cfs and the water was very turbid. Only a few fish rose and only a few of them were repeat risers. I wonder if the turbidity affected the trout's ability to see the tiny Trico spinners?

When I first arrived at 6:00 a.m. there was a young fellow with a spinning rod throwing 3" long little rainbow trout crank baits. In just a few minutes he caught a 14" rainbow which he put on a stringer and then a 17" rainbow which I measured. He culled the 14" fish off the stringer, it was very much alive, and put the 17" on the stringer. The bigger trout are obviously still in the stream but were not rising today. I got bored and left at 9:00.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 9, 2017July 9th, 2017, 3:01 pm EDT
Yes, Matt, we hired a guide for Raystown. We also caught smallmouth and lake trout there. It was fun. I'm wondering if the big Tully trout will ever key on the surface bugs. If anything will bring them up I'd guess the Tricos will. The cooler weather should help the fish stay healthy for a while, anyway. Streamers?

--Fred Chappell
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jul 22, 2017July 22nd, 2017, 9:19 am EDT
Looks like fun. Very nice, Louis.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 24, 2017July 24th, 2017, 2:16 am EDT
Thanks, Paul. Hope all is well over your way.

--Fred Chappell
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 14, 2017September 14th, 2017, 2:50 pm EDT
Bumping this up for Matt--remember?? Most of these fish were caught with spinning rods, so how could I fault you for using one??

--Fred Chappell
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 22, 2021February 22nd, 2021, 5:51 am EST
Grayson, here are some photos of bass. Some were caught on flies, others on spinning gear.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply