Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jun 13, 2017June 13th, 2017, 7:59 am EDT
Seemingly without fail the annual appearance of Drunella cornuta provides some of the most memorable fishing of the year for me. So far this year has been no exception. Jeez, I love this bug.. literally hundreds of rising fish and epic fishing. I will say that the fish while rising freely can be quite picky, ventral abdominal coloration of the imitation had better be good. Just a few photos for a taste of what this bug brings to the surface...

this fish's coloration blew me away...

And it ain't over yet...
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 13, 2017June 13th, 2017, 2:57 pm EDT
Wow, that is a pretty one! And it's not anywhere near spawning season, either. Nice looking flies, too.

My own attempt to go fishing tonight ended with two trips to places that looked like chocolate milk...guess we did get that 1-2" they were talking about! I'll give it a couple of days and try again...

Lot of color variation in your specimens there, Eric. Must be a decent gene pool there.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 17, 2017June 17th, 2017, 10:06 am EDT
Nice...

Eric. I have thought about this fly for some reason here in Michigan for a long time, but can't truly claim to have seen it. We get a wonderful D lata hatch on the Au Sable, but my curiosity about D cornuta goes unsatisfied...

Leonard barely mentions it, comparing it to walkeri and lata..."Our small collection of E. cornuta was made from streams in the Pre-Cambrian uplift region of the western Upper Peninsula within a single week at the beginning of July." -p47 "Mayflies of Michigan Trout Streams."

Ann Miller kind of does the same thing by lumping them (cornuta, lata, cornutella, and walkeri) under the heading "Drunella Nymph-Summer Olive" (Hatch Guide for Upper Midwest Streams). She too makes mention of "the extreme north" for cornuta and cornutella...and she gives the group its props, as you do, concerning the hatches ability to pull up feeding fish.

I haven't made it up in July for some years, but remember the D lata hatches with fond memories.

Nice fishing report...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
JohnR
Eagle River, Alaska

JohnR on Jun 17, 2017June 17th, 2017, 6:06 pm EDT
My goodness those are beautiful fish. Thank you for sharing your day on the water. Someday, I gotta make a trip to fish for them.

Quick Reply