Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Thethrill02
Thethrill02 on Jan 27, 2017January 27th, 2017, 11:37 am EST

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 27, 2017January 27th, 2017, 12:29 pm EST
Well that is about as vague an inquiry as I have ever seen. Where do you live? What state? What do you want to fish for, trout, bass, panfish, catfish, give us a clue. Do you want to fly fish, spin fish? Do you want to fish in moving water, stillwater, or both? Wade or in a boat?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Thethrill02
Thethrill02 on Jan 27, 2017January 27th, 2017, 2:04 pm EST
Well, I live in California. Im targeting trout on the American River with a fly rod. I'm curious if there's anything I can do to catch some trout at this time, or if I should wait till the spring.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 28, 2017January 28th, 2017, 6:34 am EST
Thethrill02 wrote;

I'm curious if there's anything I can do to catch some trout at this time, or if I should wait till the spring.

Sorry mate I don't know anything about fishing is California. Perhaps you could go to a local fishing store or Bass Pro store if one is near you and ask the guys behind the counter. Also try Googling "winter trout fishing on the American River" and see what hits you get. Maybe there are some steelhead in the river now.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Trailman
Trailman's profile picture
California

Trailman on Apr 21, 2017April 21st, 2017, 11:12 am EDT
I too live in California and I am wondering myself lol. Since I am new to this also.
Fishing Fun
P_SWAngler
P_SWAngler's profile picture
Snowflake, AZ

P_SWAngler on May 2, 2018May 2nd, 2018, 4:11 am EDT
What I would do is go to Google. Find a stream, river, or lake that you are interested in fishing and google the fishing report. If there are fish in it its likely someone else has fished it before you and written about it. Orvis usually has a pretty decent fishing report on most creeks and rivers. That being said, sometimes there are creeks that nobody knows about. When I lived in Utah I was able to find one that had wild rainbows, and nobody I ever talked to even knew there were fish in it.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 2, 2018May 2nd, 2018, 4:31 am EDT
Not sure about CA, but many if not most states will have web pages on their fishing opportunities, as well as rules, regs, license info, etc. I spent a summer in Arizona and before going I went to their state fisheries website for info, and it was very helpful for a state that is on the opposite side of the country from Michigan. Look up "State DNR" or whatever it might be called in CA, and they should have some info on species and etc. for you. Best of luck!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply