Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Millcreek has attached these 6 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Ironodes nymph. 11 mm (excluding cerci). Collected May 11, 2010. In alcohol.
Mouthparts of nymph.
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Nov 17, 2014November 17th, 2014, 3:10 pm EST
The nymphs are members of the Heptageniidae family and are easily identified to genus. They have only two caudal filaments (tails), which narrows it down to Anepeorus, Epeorus and Ironodes. Anepeorus has interfacing setae on the caudal filaments. Ironodes has no interfacing setae on the caudal filaments . Ironodes has a pair of median tubercles on each dorsal segment while Epeorus doesn't.

While easy enough to identify to genus I've only been able to find a description of Ironodes lepidus by Day in "New Species and Notes on California Mayflies (Ephemeroptera)" (1952). This leaves several species undescribed as nymphs that have been reported as occurring in California. I. californicus and I. nitidus have been reported in California and Mayfly Central lists I. arctus and I. geminatus as possibilities in the northwest United States. If anybody has any knowledge of these larvae info would be much appreciated.

The nymphs are usually found in smaller tributaries of the Russian River.They were collected in riffles or shallow glides with moderate to fast flow and a substrate of large gravel and cobble. They are most common in the spring and and early summer months. When ready to emerge they can be seen on the downstream side of large rocks where they crawl up nearly to the waterline, grasp the rock firmly and molt as subimagos. I had some male adults but never got around to keying them out and haven't been able to find the vial with them in it again.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Nov 21, 2014November 21st, 2014, 1:58 pm EST
Jacobus & McCafferty (2002) suggested some color characteristics that might
be useful for species diagnosis, but such characters often are variable or
subject to fading. Leave these at the genus level.

Jacobus LM; McCafferty WP. 2002. Analysis of some historically unfamiliar
Canadian mayflies (Ephemeroptera). Canadian-Entomologist
134(2):141-155.
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Nov 21, 2014November 21st, 2014, 2:32 pm EST
I figured I wasn't going to get very far attempting to ID these to species. Day gives some minor differences in size and coloration as distinguishing characteristics in "Aquatic Insects of California" but as you mentioned above these seem like they would be variable. Thanks for the info.

Mark
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein

Quick Reply