Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 10 pictures. The message is below.
Looking at a (red-backed) salamander
Diameter-taping a tree while students while students take down the numbers
In the bog (what's left of it anyway)
Looking at benthics through our (only) dissecting scope)
Pine River critters - notice the giant black stonefly, got that in the seine net
How we caught our (many species of) fish
Yours truly looking for some juicy benthics
Let's see what's crawling around in here
Cuuuuuuute little baby snapper I caught in the dip net
Last plant exam
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Aug 5, 2016August 5th, 2016, 8:23 am EDT
Well, it's over again for another year. Last night I turned in the grades for my Summer 2016 Introduction to Field Biology class. Now I have two weeks off before the Fall Semester begins. My folks were asking me, well what are you gonna do? Gee, uh, maybe go fishing??? Though, with our hot and dry weather things haven't been terribly exciting in that regard...

This class is always truly a joy to teach. Having been a field biologist for 32 years now, I feel this is exactly what I should be doing, and from my own days at the U of MI Biological Station, I have a model for what my class should be. This summer we caught a lot of fish, a variety of benthic macroinvertebrates, and saw some really cool plant life. The students were a good group, worked together well and had a lot of fun in the process. They even learned something! We visited forests of different types, dunes on the shores of Lake Huron, a cedar swamp with a tiny bog remnant (still retaining multiple classic bog plant species, including pitcher plants and sundews), Foote Pond, Clark's Marsh, the Au Sable River, the Pine River, Tuttle Marsh, and even [REDACTED] Pond, where I was glad I was wearing waders (while watching a 4" leech swimming around my waist).

Here's a few pictures to let you all in on the fun.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Aug 5, 2016August 5th, 2016, 1:31 pm EDT
Wonderful Jonathon, good teachers are under paid and over worked. My wife is a para pro in our school district, so I know what these folks go through trying to educate these kids with all that goes on these days. I admire folks who the patience to work young folks. I can barely deal with people at the hardware anymore. Thank goodness I had 30 years at GM.

Mike.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 6, 2016August 6th, 2016, 1:20 pm EDT
What fun, Jonathon. You are in inspiration as I prepare to get back in the saddle for fall semester.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Aug 9, 2016August 9th, 2016, 4:38 pm EDT
Jonathon, I have to mention this, I went to high school at Flint Southwestern class of 75, we had a teacher there Mr. Ricky, aka ranger ricky, who had a place up north some where and would take kids who had no experience in the outdoors and work on his property. He was one of my favorite teachers in a place that had gone really wrong. I think that says something about a person, when I'm now going 60 years old, but Mr. Ricky made such a big influence on many lives back then. I wish I had your patience to work with young folks.

Mike.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Aug 11, 2016August 11th, 2016, 10:04 am EDT
Awesomeness!!

Quick Reply