Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

PESCATORE
PESCATORE's profile picture
Rancho Cordova, CA

PESCATORE on May 22, 2016May 22nd, 2016, 10:53 pm EDT
Greetings:

I have been browsing the WWW for a good Fly-Fishing Site for sometime when I came across this site and found it comfortable... like an old fly shop where fishermen chatted about the catch and the flies they tied. Actually, it’s even better than that; so many aspects are covered here in detail. Aquatic entomology, fishing methods and tying are just a mouse click away. Not to mention the very fine photo images I have seen here.

I began Fly-Fishing in 1979; I had been bait and lure fisherman since 1960 but once I learned how to cast and land fish, I gave up the bait and lures. I have enjoyed fly-fishing immensely and fished every Westside River on the CA Sierras from Bakersfield to Alturas and a number of coastal rivers for Steelhead.

I look forward to hanging around this site, learning more... and meeting new people who share this wonderful art.

Ciao,

Don

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 23, 2016May 23rd, 2016, 11:44 am EDT
Very nice to hear from you Pescatore. You will find lots of information here and everyone is very helpful.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 23, 2016May 23rd, 2016, 3:25 pm EDT
Hi Don,

Welcome to the site! I'm glad you find it useful.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on May 23, 2016May 23rd, 2016, 3:52 pm EDT
Welcome from PA. Very nice people here.
David82nd
David82nd's profile picture
Upstate,New York

David82nd on May 24, 2017May 24th, 2017, 11:07 pm EDT
That is a great way of describing how I felt right away here myself , being new to the site as well , I've had my share of a few other sites , just never had that " feel". Either to " clique" or just not to friendly , we've all been doing this awhile , tying, fishing , most started as kids/w a can of worms, then spinners and plugs , and as time, money allowed we moved to a Fly rod , being newbto a sight doesn't imply we haven't tied a fly or made that perfect cast , just means we haven't met everyone here yet , grab you're coffee, get you're vice and let's talk Flies, and patterns. :)

Quick Reply