Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Bobwhite
Bobwhite on May 17, 2008May 17th, 2008, 1:43 pm EDT
Hi Everyone,

John Gierach and I will be celebrating our 100th column together in the next issue of FR&R (july/October, 2008) 16 years and 100 columns!

We've created a retrospective of the 100 paintings that's pretty cool. For the first time anyone (including me) can see all 100 paintings, from March of 1992 until now, in one place, at one time. To view the just released painting for the 100th column, and all of the others, go to < />www.whitefishstudio.com and click on "Paintings for John Gierach's column in FR&R".

I hope you'll enjoy them!
Bob White
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 17, 2008May 17th, 2008, 2:18 pm EDT
Bob-

Congratulations on your 100th collaborative article. John is very lucky to have your wonderful paintings to illustrate his articles. Of course, he ain't no slouch, either.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Bobwhite
Bobwhite on May 17, 2008May 17th, 2008, 2:49 pm EDT
Hi Roger,

Thank you for the kind message. I illustrated John's column for almost ten years before we met and became friends.

I've spent time with a lot of fishing "celebrities" over the years, and generally they leave me disappointed. John is not one of those. He's exactly the guy who tells you his story at the end of every issue of FR&R. He's the real deal, and I'm honored to paint for him.

I always wanted to do a painting of John fishing his favorite water... and was determined to do so for the 100th column. It's a long story... but it finally happened, and it's one of my best. I hope that you enjoy it.

Warmly,
Bob White
Troutbum_46
Goshen,IN

Troutbum_46 on May 20, 2008May 20th, 2008, 4:17 pm EDT
Hello Bob & Everyone,

I got that issue today in the mail,Wow great paintings Bob!! Its a pleasure to meet you. I have been reading Johns column for a while and a few of his books.I will have to check out you web sight.

Keep up the great work!!!
Bobwhite
Bobwhite on May 22, 2008May 22nd, 2008, 5:42 am EDT
Thank you very much!

My wife, Lisa , suggested that we construct the 100 Painting Retrospective so that viewers could see all 100 paintings at one time, in one place.

It's kind of scary to have work that's 16 years old for folks to look at and compare with the more recent paintings... but then, some of the older work still looks good.

Thanks again,
Warmly,
Bob White
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on May 22, 2008May 22nd, 2008, 6:16 am EDT
All of your work looks good to me, Bob. As someone who dabbles in watercolor, I'm a longtime admirer of your illustration. Congrats on your 100th!

Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on May 22, 2008May 22nd, 2008, 12:25 pm EDT
It's kind of scary to have work that's 16 years old for folks to look at and compare with the more recent paintings...

Then again, it would be much worse if your work never improved and no one could see the progression of your talents. And, for better or for worse, your average Joe probably wouldn't notice the difference, anyway. It's probably more important that you see the progression than anyone else, and I'm sure you know every triumphant stroke and every flaw in each of your paintings.

I had never seen your work before you posted on here, Bob, and I'm glad you did. You are a very talented person, with that unmistakable sense of outdoor sports that only comes from many years immersed in them. Your ability to capture the essence of these pursuits is undoubtedly what endears your work to those of us who share your love of them.

I haven't had time to look at too many of your pieces, but I will certainly be spending some time on your site in the near future, trying to appreciate them as best I can in miniature on my computer screen. Perhaps someday I'll get to see them in person at a show or something.

Thanks for sharing your work with us, and congratulations on your recent achievement.

-Shawn

P.S. By the way, I have a good friend who shares your name. Already an active hunter, I recently took him flyfishing for the first time (all the flies having been tied from fur and feathers he'd given me). He'll be glad to know he's already a famous flyfishing painter. A pretty precocious start for him...
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Bobwhite
Bobwhite on Jun 8, 2008June 8th, 2008, 2:03 pm EDT
Thank you for the warm reception. I deeply appreciate your kind reviews.

Most sincerely,
Bob White

Quick Reply