Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 17, 2016January 17th, 2016, 5:59 pm EST
Kurt, I've been using Stroft GTM and Puglisi Powerfull tippet material for a couple of years, and like them both, but last summer found that in 7X the Stroft was significantly stronger, and I haven't found any problems with scoring or loss in straightness. Have you tried GTM? With light tippets, I like the strongest tippet I can find. The Varivas ultra midge hooks that I tie most of my tricos on have never bent out, so the match of nylon and steel seems to be working. I'm giving the Trouthunter fluoro a try this year for nymph fishing based on some testing done by Yellowstone Angler. Are you familiar with this article?

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/tippet-shootout-seaguar-grandmax-trouthunter-orvis-mirage-riopowerflex-pline-dairiki-varivas-sa-climax-maxima-froghair-stoft-umpqua

Any thoughts on their opinions? I had been using Rio Fluoroflex Plus. They note it has more stretch and less knot strength, but I wonder if the Trouthunter is a bit more brittle in the cold due to its lack of stretch. Anyway, I won't be using fluoro in the cold any more so that won't be an issue.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jan 17, 2016January 17th, 2016, 8:02 pm EST
Keep in mind I'm a Westerner, Louis. You And Tony are playing a slightly different game. Frankly, if I came to visit (which I hope to do sooner rather than later) I'll be bumming tippet and flies from you guys... :) I don't use tippets finer than 7X and hooks smaller than 22. Even that is extremely rare. I'm usually casting over fish measured in pounds not inches and they usually have lots of room to swim. The ultra-ultra light tackle you use is beyond my experience - and practicality.

The major hook manufacturers have been increasing wire diameters to compensate and the Varivas hooks you are using are no exception. Surface tension is such that with tiny hooks the additional weight is of little concern. When fishing 16 to 20 hooks on 6X tippet (representing more than 90% of my ultra light fishing) the light wire hooks can only take so much tippet strength. Heavier wire in these sizes does have an impact on floatation.

Rio was one of the names I almost mentioned. I've had good luck with the basic Orvis and Umpqua products as well. None of them do as well in strength tests as the products you mention, but 6x and larger are so strong (and already pushing the envelope on light wire hook strength) that I look to other factors as mentioned above for tippet selection.

Regarding trouthunter fluoro, I've heard excellent things about it. I'm still stuck on Gmax. 30 fish days on the lower Sac without changing fly knots is a record hard to beat. And I'm talking wild native rainbows that average 18" or better with a lot of water to swim in. I never had much appreciation for the fighting ability of Brook trout until tangling with the large natives in Maine. The same for Rainbows. Believe me, your rainbows (and steelhead) aren't the same... :)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 17, 2016January 17th, 2016, 8:39 pm EST
Post deleted.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jan 18, 2016January 18th, 2016, 3:05 am EST
Matt, were you gonna give me a hard time on my Rainbow comment? I was hoping to get a "rise" out of somebody! :)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jan 18, 2016January 18th, 2016, 5:41 am EST
I'm usually casting over fish measured in pounds not inches

And I'm talking wild native rainbows that average 18" or better

Kurt, I can't answer for Matt but you got a rise out of me.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 18, 2016January 18th, 2016, 5:56 am EST
I did make a posting but deleted it when I couldn't locate an appropriately sized rainbow picture to include with the text.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/wbranch/Rainbow%20cropped.jpg
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 18, 2016January 18th, 2016, 8:46 am EST
Kurt, Thanks for your input. I was thinking of the difference between fishing in the East and in the West as I typed my last post. There are a few places in the East where the fish are big and strong and have room to run such as the Delaware or Farmington. (see Matt's photo) But you're right, most of my trico fishing is on smaller streams where the trout don't have the current or room to stress tackle the way many Western trout can. And I'm often into size 28 tricos by the end of the season, as you know. I sometimes do use 8X in the last weeks of summer on fish that have become almost uncatchable. Rod, the former owner of the Little Lehigh Flyshop on the Heritage section of Little Lehigh even said that 9X was needed at times, though I haven't gone down that far. The Stroft is amazing in the 7X and 8X diameters, testing equal to one size larger with most other tippet material. I know some very skilled anglers who like Rio Powerflex, and would be comfortable using it in 6X and above. If I don't like the Trouthunter fluoro, I'll give the Seaguar a try; I've heard good things about it from others too.

--Fred Chappell
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jan 18, 2016January 18th, 2016, 4:59 pm EST
To me what's important is the challenges you face and the fascinating ways you guys meet them. I just wanted to clarify that many of my comments regarding tackle and stuff are not necessarily appropos to the conversation. For example when I'm advising on Spey tackle, I'm coming from a perspective of very wide and fast rivers filled with large cobble and boulders where swinging is the thing and long casts are the order of the day. My rod and line recommendations for you guys back east are probably all wrong. I'm a firm believer in the principle, "when in Rome do as the Romans" especially when the "Romans" know what they are talking about like you two guys. BTW, Where's Tony? Cutting into too many guts, I imagine...:)
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 18, 2016January 18th, 2016, 7:43 pm EST
Yes, it's all about having fun, and finding what works. But I like to get other perspectives and to get tips from those who have knowledge that I don't. This group has helped me become a better fisherman, and I'm thankful for that.

--Fred Chappell
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Jan 26, 2016January 26th, 2016, 4:13 am EST
BTW, Where's Tony? Cutting into too many guts, I imagine...:)

I just noticed that I haven't logged in in a while. I found a PM this morning that says "Happy Thanksgiving". The not so affordable care act has changed my life. Diseases ignored for ten months suddenly need to be attended to once five thousand dollar deductibles have been met. But I digress...

Kurt, I may be an oddball Easterner, but I use the same set ups here as I do out west. I fish Penn's with a 9' 5wt and an 8'6" 4wt boron/graphite as often (or more) as I use a 7'9" bamboo 4wt (aka The Billy Baroo). I fished the HF the past few summers with the same Winston rods, and an 8'6" 5wt Payne 204L.

I use copolymers (aka nylon) for all of my dryfly fishing, and most of my wetfly fishing, too. Brand loyalty is a factor (currently Rio Suppleflex and TH Nylon), and I choose by trial and error, not by online reviews.
There are a lot of things in this thread to discuss. Winter is certainly set in, and you can only tie flies for so long before you need a break and log onto TN :)

Steel is steel
Hmm. Hook debate anyone? What brands and models are you using...
Stanley's Ice-Off? I dunk my rod.
Reels freezing? What type of drag system are you using?
Good stuff. Ill read through the stuff and maybe comment
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Jan 28, 2016January 28th, 2016, 3:44 pm EST
When I was working at Cortland, we used to take sample bottles of floatant up to the Salmon River with us during the winter. During a cold day, we would dump about half a bottle on our reels and try and spread it all over the line.

At first, the line was slippery as hell, but once you were able to hang onto it after about 15 casts....bam - no more ice!

I still do this to this day.

Quick Reply