Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 31, 2015December 31st, 2015, 8:04 pm EST
Here's to a good season of fishing for all.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jan 1, 2016January 1st, 2016, 5:04 am EST
Happy New Year to you and all!!!
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jan 2, 2016January 2nd, 2016, 7:52 pm EST
Thanks!

Started the new year off right with the winter bird count at my local park...On my birthday no less...My nephew tagged along and we tallied nearly 30 species on a very cold day...

Highlights: Brown Creeper, Tundra Swan, Pileated Woodpecker, Common Golden-eye, Buffleheads, Common Merganser, Coots, and two Bald Eagles scaring the daylights out of the ducks!

Speaking of the B-Day...I stopped at the park office last week to get a 2016 park sticker...The woman behind the counter gave me a senior discount because my license stated that I was going to be 62 on Jan 2nd...Ouch! My first ever senior discount...At least she was nice enough to say I didn't look old enough to get it! :)

Happy New Year all!

Spence

I had placed a small zip lock baggy in my nephews' hands filled with sunflower seeds and it was fun watching him getting mauled by Titmice, Chickadees, and even a White-breasted Nuthatch...The Downy just was a tad too wild to land in his hand but she thought about it.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 4, 2016January 4th, 2016, 11:14 am EST
Yes, happy new year all.

Quick Reply