Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionPolk county
Specific LocationKnapp Creek
Dates FishedJuly 20, 2008
Time of Daynoon
Fish Caught23 inch Brown Trout
Conditions & HatchesSunny, moderately warm. Thunderstorm evening of Saturday.

Details and Discussion

Cynthia
Cynthia on Jul 20, 2008July 20th, 2008, 12:38 pm EDT
Just wanted to share this photo. Brown trout measured 23 inches. Weight was 5.6. It was a good day!
Freepow
menomonie, WI

Freepow on Jul 20, 2008July 20th, 2008, 5:39 pm EDT
Try again to post the picture...I am eager to see what it looks like. Knapp creek is not far from me down here in Dunn County...I may have to come up and search for my own huge Brown.
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
Freepow
menomonie, WI

Freepow on Jul 20, 2008July 20th, 2008, 6:46 pm EDT
Actually, I just realized that I will be camping at Interstate Park next weekend and that is close to you (I think). Could you point me to any trout fishing areas within 20 minutes or so of the park??? Or, do you know if the St. Croix or Dulles creek (in Interstate Park) have any trout fishing? Thanks.
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 22, 2008July 22nd, 2008, 9:58 pm EDT
No photo - Do uou know how to post a picture on this web site?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Freepow
menomonie, WI

Freepow on Jul 23, 2008July 23rd, 2008, 3:54 am EDT
I always do it through the photography message board. It has an upload file box there that you can use and then a spot to put your message.
Ericd
Mpls, MN

Ericd on Sep 28, 2008September 28th, 2008, 5:17 pm EDT
I posted a reply in another forum asking about trout in the St. Croix. It has many tributaries that carry brookies, so I assume there must be a few, but does anyone wish to share any info?

Quick Reply