Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Bochim
Western NC

Bochim on Jan 9, 2016January 9th, 2016, 7:11 pm EST
Hello. Live in Helena. MT
"We all are eternal spirits; and at the end of what we now see and experience, eternity begins, which is reality." SDS
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jan 10, 2016January 10th, 2016, 4:11 am EST
Welcome! Very helpful and intelligent people here.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 10, 2016January 10th, 2016, 4:12 pm EST
Hello Bochim,

Great place to live with awesome fishing on the Missouri. I visit the 'Moe every year for two weeks.

Welcome to this great web site. Lots of helpful guys on the Forums.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 28, 2016January 28th, 2016, 1:10 pm EST
Welcome, Bochim. Glad to have you with us.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Bigbadfly
Russell Ma

Bigbadfly on Feb 22, 2016February 22nd, 2016, 6:40 am EST
Bigbadfly
Russell Ma

Bigbadfly on Feb 22, 2016February 22nd, 2016, 8:02 am EST
Hello to all, just a few notes new here. I'm a retired Master Sergeant with 35 yrs of service in the AF/ANG. Been fishing all my life from the smallest brook trout to the oceans, all type spin fishing to fly fishing for forty pound Striped Bass in the ocean love it all!!! I worked on aircraft weapons systems as a QA inspector. I fly fish whenever I can mostly the Westfield river in Mass biggest fish was 24in. Tiger trout on a 3wt St Croix. Well rounded in all aspects of fishing/hunting, will help with questions if needed.
Jim
been to Chena hot springs loved it
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 22, 2016February 22nd, 2016, 4:15 pm EST
Welcome, Jim. It's good to have you with us.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wetroutin
Chicago

Wetroutin on May 8, 2016May 8th, 2016, 8:14 pm EDT
Hello! New to the forum! From Chicago and cannot wait to meet some of you
http://thetroutfishing.com/
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 13, 2016May 13th, 2016, 4:02 pm EDT
Wetroutin,

Hello! New to the forum! From Chicago and cannot wait to meet some of you

Do you mean "meet" in the literal sense, or "meet" through posts and PM's, or do you mean "meet" through the link you so deftly provided to another fly fishing web site?
Chiquis
Chiquis's profile picture
San Diego

Chiquis on Jul 11, 2016July 11th, 2016, 9:26 am EDT
Hi! Im new here and Im glad to be part of this group.

I hope to learn from all of you, the experts and share my experiences as well.
Thank you so much!

Best regards :D
ColoradoKen
ColoradoKen's profile picture
Granby, Colorado

ColoradoKen on Jul 14, 2016July 14th, 2016, 7:39 pm EDT
Hello from the Colorado Rockies. My name is Ken and I love to fish with the fly rod. I fish all year and do all kinds of stuff. When the river is high and I nymph with a bunch of weight and the junk flies. When it's January I fish tailwaters. Sometimes I ice fish with lures or bait and a 2ft spinning rod, lol. Winters are long! I love freestones. The Fraser river is a fucking gem. I spend a lot of my time on the Fraser and Colorado rivers. I mostly like wade fishing, although if it's streamer fishing put me in the drift boat or raft. Dry fly fishing is fucking sweet. I don't nymph in the middle of a hatch. This time of year where I live it's pretty sweet. I run a double dry fly rig all day. I tie flies. Not too many patterns. Mainly I crank out midges and baetis stuff in the winter for the spring.

I'm here because I want to take the entomology to the next level. I wanna know the Latin names, and be able to identify an obscure mayfly on the river.

I found interesting stuff here and decided to become a member. Thanks to whoever does this forum.
Tight Lines,
Ken
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 15, 2016July 15th, 2016, 1:00 am EDT
Nice intro, welcome aboard Ken.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Jul 15, 2016July 15th, 2016, 8:09 am EDT
Nice intro, welcome aboard Ken.

X2

I spent a few days in Granby several years back. Unfortunately no fishing for me when I was there. What a beautiful area though!! I'd love to get back and fish sometime.
ColoradoKen
ColoradoKen's profile picture
Granby, Colorado

ColoradoKen on Jul 15, 2016July 15th, 2016, 2:57 pm EDT
Thanks guys. Yeah I really like living here. Grand county has more water than anywhere else in Colorado.
Tight Lines,
Ken
NCNympher
NCNympher's profile picture
Charlotte, NC

NCNympher on Nov 30, 2016November 30th, 2016, 10:55 am EST
Hello everyone, my name is Mitch and I'm from the great state of North Carolina. I am a junior in high school and I have been fly fishing and fly tying for about 4 years now and become very serious about it and quite obsessed to be honest haha. It seems like there is a lot of knowledgable people on this forum and I can't wait to find out what I don't know!
They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again... as many times as I cast hoping for a fish to take my fly, I ought to be in an asylum by now!
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Nov 30, 2016November 30th, 2016, 2:33 pm EST
Hi Mitch-

Welcome aboard. Nice intro and gorgeous fish.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Lauranh
NY

Lauranh on Jan 8, 2017January 8th, 2017, 7:36 am EST
Property for sale on the famous west branch of the Delaware river, right by Al Caucci and Delaware River Club https://www.coldwellbanker.com/property/W-Branch-Ct-Starlight-PA-18461-MLS-16-3584
Laura
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 8, 2017January 8th, 2017, 8:59 am EST
Looks like that property is in the middle of nowhere. It is accessed from what looks like a gravel road off of a paved road. It is behind Caucci's DRC and there is no river access.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 8, 2017January 8th, 2017, 9:07 am EST
Hello Mitch,

Welcome to Troutnut! Yep, there are lots of very helpful guys on this forum who won't steer you wrong regarding fly fishing. Feel free to ask away or PM me.
Johne
Johne's profile picture
Warwick NY

Johne on Jan 14, 2017January 14th, 2017, 1:09 pm EST
Hello All,

I fit this category well as a long time lurker never posting. I have to say very long at that! I stumbled on this site while researching a hatch and then returned time and time again.

My name is John, I live in Warwick NY and fish all of the Catskill rivers. Been at it since the 70s when I lived in NJ. I learned to nymph out of necessity fishing the Musky and Flat Brook in my 20s. Mixed in I would venture to the Catskills. I moved to Orange County NY in 1986 and began fishing the Neversink, Beaverkill and Willow much more often.
Fast forward:
Now I enjoy stalking tough fish on or near the surface with dries/damp flies (who doesn't!). I try to avoid crowds fishing week days and morning-afternoon depending on the season. Still nymph pocket water and riffles and love to fish streamers;especially early mornings!
Closer to home, I fish Orange Co.lakes out of my kayak or pack canoe for bass on the fly.

I look forward to interaction ahead.

Thanks to Jason for such a resource and to all who share and maintain things here!

John
Retired Postmaster, Dad, Coach, Flyfisherman

Quick Reply