Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 15, 2017January 15th, 2017, 12:48 am EST
Good morning John,

Let me welcome you to Troutnut.com this is truly the best forum that I contribute to. There are no troublemakers or backbiters here and no arguments or trolls. I'm quite sure you will enjoy posting to the forum and telling us about your adventures in the Catskills.

I live in Warwick NY and fish all of the Catskill rivers. Been at it since the 70s when I lived in NJ. I learned to nymph out of necessity fishing the Musky and Flat Brook in my 20s

I'm very interested to read that you fish the Catskill rivers. I too at one time lived in NJ and my home stream was Big Flatbrook. I fished all over the stream but the Bluett Stretch (fly only water) was one of my favorites.

If you fished the Musky back in the late 1960's, and early 1970's, you might remember the "Orange Pit", that hamburger joint right along the river. That pool used to be loaded with fat browns and rainbows and people used to throw in pieces of their rolls and the trout would gorge on them. A bunch of guys, me included, started tying bread flies.

I first fished the Beaverkill on July 05 1965. Just one year after the start of the upper No Kill area. I fished the Beaverkill and Willowemoc almost every weekend up until the early 1990's.

I've not fished the Roscoe rivers very much at all since 1996. Now I pretty much only fish the Delaware main and the EB and WB. Before you know it you will be casting Hendrickson on Cairns or Barnhart's Pools.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Johne
Johne's profile picture
Warwick NY

Johne on Jan 15, 2017January 15th, 2017, 3:25 am EST
Hi Wbranch,

You brought back a few neat memories. The Orange Pit feeding station was wild! I thought of making a bread fly but witnessed a seasoned regular giving what for to a guy chumming and fishing one. I had a lot of respect for this gentleman so I never went there. Fascinating to watch though!
Blewett Tract was equally home water with the Musky No-Kill, yet vastly different for a young nympher!
I am looking forward to Paraleps and Hendricksons on the East Branch which has become my primary water over the past 15 or so seasons. I love the interesting insect hatches that come off in numbers, that are present given its fertility and tailwater status.

Thanks for the great memory and nice welcome post!

John
Retired Postmaster, Dad, Coach, Flyfisherman
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 15, 2017January 15th, 2017, 5:58 am EST
Welcome, John. Matt is one of our very best Troutnuts, superb at fishing (check his old posts and watch for more this spring) and most generous with his decades of knowledge and experience. This is true of the majority of long-term posters on here, we've built a nice little online community here over the years. They even put up with my posts of wildflowers and mushrooms, so long as they're taken when on a fishing trip!

Enjoy, and we love to see your fishing pictures and adventures.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Johne
Johne's profile picture
Warwick NY

Johne on Jan 15, 2017January 15th, 2017, 6:28 am EST
Thanks Jonathon! I appreciate the welcome!

John
Retired Postmaster, Dad, Coach, Flyfisherman
LBrain
LBrain's profile picture
Birdsboro, PA

LBrain on Jan 24, 2017January 24th, 2017, 3:37 am EST
Halluuuuuuuuu...

My first post. Been reading troutnut for over a year. Very good info on here. I figured since I now have the 'time' to fish and will, that I should introduce myself. I guess my 'bio' is available to read, so I don't need to spew forth anymore about that. And hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some of you on the water, and possibly hook up with a local "guide" or two to help me find my way around PA. Thanks to all who contribute here. I've learned much from this sight, and as always, will continue to learn every day I fish.

The wife couldn't understand why I "needed" a "new fishing rod" when I already have too many. I just gave her the 'shoe' analogy and went from there.
Picked up a 'glass' rod in 4wt - looking forward to using it. Mostly take my 3wt out for trout, and use the 5 for different occasions, and on the kayak in still water, have an old cheaper 8wt that's been gathering dust for 15 years... in fact, the line on it is still 'brand new' ha
I have a lot of "work" (fishing) to do... No longer sacrificing my soul to the 'other' work.
Brain
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 24, 2017January 24th, 2017, 4:43 am EST
Lane,

PM sent.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 24, 2017January 24th, 2017, 7:14 am EST
"The wife couldn't understand why I 'needed' a 'new fishing rod' when I already have too many. I just gave her the 'shoe' analogy and went from there."

I LOVE IT!!! Welcome Lane, and thank you for the smile, I can use all I can get lately. Glad you finally chimed in, you won't regret it.

Jonathon

P.S. I do a lot of my trout fishing (and bass on the fly) from my own kayak (see tiny picture at left!) and I love using a 3-weight on the mostly smaller waters I fish.

P.P.S. You've probably noticed by now there's a sizeable PA crew on here!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
LBrain
LBrain's profile picture
Birdsboro, PA

LBrain on Jan 24, 2017January 24th, 2017, 2:10 pm EST
Thanks for the welcome Matt and Jonathon,

I fly fish from the kayak as well... hoping for a musky at Marsh Creek in spring... never done it -

Going to focus more on trout this year. Just one more cast is my motto...
Brain
LBrain
LBrain's profile picture
Birdsboro, PA

LBrain on Jan 24, 2017January 24th, 2017, 2:14 pm EST
Almost forgot to ask about those bread flies, white or wheat?
Brain
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 24, 2017January 24th, 2017, 2:35 pm EST
I like rye, with caraway seeds. As for the fish? I would guess white, most dinner rolls are made with white flour. Dang it guys, now I'm hungry!

Jonathon
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 25, 2017January 25th, 2017, 6:19 am EST
Lane,

Almost forgot to ask about those bread flies, white or wheat?

Now I wouldn't want this to get out but truth be told I used to tie my bread flies with white deer hair with a brown deer hair crust. I'd use a longer shank dry fly hook and tie a white deer hair body up to about 1/4" of the eye, then tie in the brown deer hair crust and used a razor blade to trim the hair so it had a rectangular shape. It was important to slap it on the water so it made a commotion.
IvansFishin
IvansFishin's profile picture
Toronto, Canada

IvansFishin on Jan 26, 2017January 26th, 2017, 1:34 pm EST
I have not had too much time to lurk as I fell in love with the forum once I saw it. I started fly fishing at age 7, but at age 6 I was messing with Meps lures where I caught my first trout. The feeling was amazing. Than at age 7, I encouraged my dad to teach me some fly fishing. I am still learning even today. I am happy to be here, as well as to share my tips and knowledge.

Cheers
Ivan
Ivans Fishing Videos | Tips and Reviews on Fly Fishing Gear & Fishing in General |

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMqt9mfmELPZ1P0low42Nlw
Raftman
Raftman's profile picture
Lancaster, PA

Raftman on Feb 4, 2017February 4th, 2017, 2:10 am EST
Hey folks,

I just wanted to introduce myself as I've been "lurking" on this forum off and on for a bit but just now registered. I really dig the site and the forum.

I live along the lower Susquehanna in Pennsylvania where I fish for wild trout year round, but come July/August, you'll find me out on the Susky wet wading or in my kayak stripping Clousers for bass.

I'm a teacher, which affords me the summer to do a lot of camping and traveling. The wife and I have a small camper that we like to take on long road trips - last year it was up to Maine (W. Branch of the Penobscot is amazing. Profile photo is from the Mag). This year, we are hoping to get out to Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana.

I also do a lot of exploring just in Pennsylvania. I make a yearly solo camping trip up to Potter County right after school lets out. Love it up there.

Best,

Michael
www.raftmanspath.com

"The rattler escaping the cold house,
the fluttering unknown gods that I nearly see
from the left corner of my blind eye, struggling
to stay alive in a world that grinds them underfoot" - Jim Harrison
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 4, 2017February 4th, 2017, 8:43 am EST
Welcome Michael,

Your bio sounds much like mine. I too fish for wild trout but in the western Catskills instead of in the York/SE PA area where I live. Once mid July comes around I'll either be wade fishing the Susky or putting my bass boat in at Columbia or Marietta and spending the better part of the day there.

I'd enjoy hearing how you did on the Penobscot, I assume you were catching wild brook trout? I've heard great things about the Magalloway for big brookies in the spring when they follow the spawning smelt up river.

I have extensive experience fishing much of Montana except the NW corner past Missoula. I have fished pretty much every river from Livingston, to Ennis, to Dillon, and a lot in between. PM me if you want to chat. Are you going to the Lancaster show in early March?
Slocum
Slocum's profile picture
France

Slocum on Feb 11, 2017February 11th, 2017, 10:02 am EST
Hi everybody,

here is John, 35, from France. I'm here mostly because the biggest French fly fishing forum has recently closed its doors and also because I'm looking forward to cast some fly in other country. This forum seems to be the god one ! Cool peoples, no troll...

I'm what people call a beginner, because I really fly fish since one year.
Though I'm learning fast ! And I'm familiar with this fishing style since the 80's. At this time, my father taught me how to fly fish with his bamboo rod. Those times I'll never forget. Unfortunately, there wasn't so many rivers where fly fishing was possible around us. But still, trout fishing was a common passion and we spent a lot of time fishing together. He also tied his own flies and I still own some of them.

For some reasons, when I was 20, I went more urban and get away from nature for some years. However I quickly learned I would need more nature and outdoor in my life.
4 years ago, my father passed away and I felt the need to cast a fly again, so I learned again how to read water, where to find trout, to study my local rivers and here I am.

Now I have a newborn son, and I hope I'll spent some quality times with him near rivers if he wants to.

My other passions are not that surprising : Nature, animals and especially snakes and reptiles. I'm not obsessed by big fish and prefer to catch small wild ones in nice areas. But of course if it's a big one I won't complain !

I'm sorry for eventual spelling mistakes, English is not my native tongue.
I'm eager to discover this board and its members, can't wait to read you !

Regards,

J.

Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 11, 2017February 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm EST
Welcome Slocum,

I'm sorry for eventual spelling mistakes, English is not my native tongue.

Haha, you are kidding us right? You're spelling is as good, or better than, people whose native language is English!

Welcome to Troutnut.com I'm sure you will enjoy these forums and all the contributors. We look forward to hearing from you and it you have any fly fishing questions just post them up or you can send me a private message.

Matt
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 11, 2017February 11th, 2017, 3:42 pm EST
Slocum, I'll second Wbranch's welcome. I'm glad you are rediscovering fly fishing. I have some of my father's flies, and treasure them. He wasn't a trout fisherman--he fished for bass and panfish. Best of luck with that baby. My babies are grown now, and one has given me two grandchildren who I hope will fish with me. My granddaughter is eager to get out, and at 4 years old, I think she's ready. My grandson is just four months, so we'll give him some time. His dad fishes, though, and I believe we'll all go out together in the near future.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Slocum
Slocum's profile picture
France

Slocum on Feb 12, 2017February 12th, 2017, 4:22 am EST
Matt, Martin, thanks to both of you guys !

I'll surely have a lot of questions, and , who know, maybe I'll bring some contribution to the whole !

Martin, thanks for your kind words. My son is doing very well and is strong for the moment ! I hope you'll have a great future with your whole family fishing.

Now is the time for me to go deeper into this forum in order to discover all its treasures !
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Feb 24, 2017February 24th, 2017, 12:06 pm EST
I have just joined this forum and still learning how to maneuver through it. I am not computer friendly....at all. So I fish instead and it seems to be working out o.k..

I learned as a child how to fly fish from my grandfather, and he, being from Scotland taught me the ways of W.C. Stewart. I love dry flies and spiders of all names, but like my grandfather, Stewart's Spider is the king when it comes to spiders.

I love fishing the creeks here in Colorado the most because of the solitude that comes from them. I find them to be more personal and intimate. But once in awhile I will venture into the bigger rivers.The Rocky Montain Nat. Park has more lakes, rivers and creeks than a person can fish in a lifetime.

I basically have one rule, and that is to keep it simple. I personally don't like to get too caught up in the science of this sport too much. For me, I just want to have fun and enjoy the day, work on my presentation (which is every cast) and see if a fish wants to introduce itself.

I started this adventure over 40 years ago, and I still can't get enough of it.
Fgfg
Colorado

Fgfg on Feb 25, 2017February 25th, 2017, 12:32 pm EST
Hey 👋
I've been fishing clear creek in golden Colorado, waters icy, I've been out past two days. Swinging black, olive and white streamers. Poison tounges, black beauties and zebra midges - no hits.

Any special advice for Colorado Rocky Mountain frozen creeks?

Thanks!!
@ferngullyflyguy

Quick Reply