Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Legaulois31
Legaulois31's profile picture
France

Legaulois31 on Mar 3, 2015March 3rd, 2015, 6:24 am EST
Eureka!
I found, it is here that we make the introducing
I try to introduce me.
At first, sorry if my English level is not good but the time I went to school is very far behind me. .
I am French and I live in the South of France (I was born in Los Angeles)
I am 62 years old and I am retired since June, 2014.
In my life, I have had only 2 big passions. The fishing and the motorcycle!
I fell in love with the fishing when I was 8 years old and since, I always have fished
I am a collector and I own 130 bamboo rods from Pezon & Michel ( Famous French Bamboo rod maker in the 50's and 60's )
I also own several thousands items from Pezon & Michel ( reels, fishing lures, spinner lures , Flies, Hooks, devons,boxes, and many many things).
I am not a long time fly fisherman it is only 10 or 12 years that I fly fishing
In France, we have a lot of rivers where we can play with trouts .
Unfortunately our trouts are not big sizes (generally of 8 " cm to 11 " .
Sometimes, I go to other countries to see if the trouts are players (Lapland, Gaspésie, Ireland, Iceland, and next summer Slovenia)
One of my dreams is, to go fishing in the USA during 3 or 4 weeks.
A dream ! No . . . . one day I'm sure ! ! !
The one who fights can lose, the one who does not fight has . . . . . already lost!
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Mar 3, 2015March 3rd, 2015, 3:41 pm EST
Welcome! It's always a pleasure to share the passion for fishing.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 3, 2015March 3rd, 2015, 3:59 pm EST
Claude,

Welcome...My wife and I have a good friend that lives in Paris. We visited her there in 96.

The fly fishing stuff is good, but don't skip the motorcycle stuff..I had a few as a kid starting with a starter bike, a 200cc Benelli...Ending with an 850 Norton Commando. :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Legaulois31
France

Legaulois31 on Mar 10, 2015March 10th, 2015, 9:38 am EDT
Claude,

Welcome...My wife and I have a good friend that lives in Paris. We visited her there in 96.

The fly fishing stuff is good, but don't skip the motorcycle stuff..I had a few as a kid starting with a starter bike, a 200cc Benelli...Ending with an 850 Norton Commando. :)

Spence

I began in 1975 with Honda 125 cc. I drove with, only during a week and I ended up in hospital.
When I went out of the hospital, I bought a “ Suzuki 550 GT “ then I drove during 35 years with big motorcycles…..
Kawazaki 1000cc, Yamaha 900 cc, Yamaha 1200 cc, and finally BMW 1100 cc. 35 years of happiness but now it is finished. Since a few years, I drive much less faster with my “Combi VW”
< />
The one who fights can lose, the one who does not fight has . . . . . already lost!
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 10, 2015March 10th, 2015, 2:24 pm EDT
I drove with, only during a week and I ended up in hospital.

In 1975 I dropped my Norton in Ann Arbor one night. No hospital, but an evening I'd like to forget! The only bright side was I actually rebuilt it.

I'm heading over to lunch with my brother-in-law tomorrow. He just purchased a new BMW. When I was out in Montana a couple years back he was hit by a woman who was not paying attention. He had a Ducati when he was hit.

Like you, I prefer the four wheels and walls around me of an automobile these days!

Welcome!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 10, 2015March 10th, 2015, 5:47 pm EDT
Welcome to Troutnut, Claude. If you make it to Oscoda, Michigan (Google it!) I have a guestroom, a couple of nice local trout streams, a couple of stillwaters for trout, and some nice bass and sunfish ponds for you to enjoy. Just give me some warning so I can clean up my house!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Legaulois31
France

Legaulois31 on Mar 25, 2015March 25th, 2015, 1:22 am EDT
Thank you Jonathon, i print this in my brain.
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Mar 25, 2015March 25th, 2015, 1:53 pm EDT
Welcome to the site, Claude, from PA
TKB
TKB's profile picture
Pennsylvania

TKB on Mar 29, 2015March 29th, 2015, 7:27 am EDT
Wbranch - I am new here but just read your fly fishing bio. I have been flyfishing since I was 6, so that makes it 46 years! What caught my eye was that you and I share our first trout on a fly experience. I caught mine in the Peabody on a fly i had tied! Hooked ever since!
Dkinva
Dkinva on Sep 12, 2015September 12th, 2015, 2:55 am EDT
Hello everyone. My name is Dk and I live in Springfield VA. I've been a fishermen for most of the past 50 years, including trout, but never with a fly rod. I recently stumbled upon the sport and am now hooked. Yes, no pun intended. Although I've only been swinging a fly rod for two months I am already an expert since I've read about 20 books on the subject. Well, actually I'm almost to the point where I can touch my fly rod while its resting on the ground without the action resulting in a tangled mess. Anyway, I'm sure I'll be reading many more books and asking lots of questions. And, practicing touching my fly rod. Darn thing is almost like a woman.

Dk
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 12, 2015September 12th, 2015, 6:55 am EDT
Welcome aboard, Dk. Since this site is bi-genderous, you might want to rethink the characterization of your initial experiences with touching your fly rod. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Sep 12, 2015September 12th, 2015, 8:18 am EDT
Hello Dkinva,

Welcome aboard the Troutnut.com web site! You will find many characters here who will be more than glad to share some of their fly fishing wisdom with you. Some of us are legends in our own eyes, me included.

Your comment of;

And, practicing touching my fly rod. Darn thing is almost like a woman.

I think you are spending too much time with your rod and need to take a break to get your priorities straight.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Dkinva
Dkinva on Sep 12, 2015September 12th, 2015, 12:33 pm EDT
Thanks y'all. You just can't beat the wisdom of experience. I appreciate the welcome.

Dk
Smuggler
Smuggler's profile picture
Lebanon, Pa

Smuggler on Sep 28, 2015September 28th, 2015, 8:10 am EDT
I'll throw my hat into the ring. I signed up not too long ago and have been a long time reader/user of this amazing site. Ty Jason for this incredible source!

My name is Eric, I reside in south central Pennsylvania. Lots of trout opportunities around here as I'm sure some of you already know :)
I frequently fish Yellow Breeches, Clarks Creek, sometimes Letort. I really enjoy visiting the northern tier of the state for excellent freestone fishing.

From the start I've had an infatuation with traditional British wet flies and the American flymph. The method in which they're fished, constructed and the materials that are used for dressing them.. good stuff.

I'm also hoping to begin learning/constructing a bamboo rod in the near future, slowly aquiring the tools and literature that goes along with the craft!

Anyhow, good to be here and I hope to learn something new from this already fantastic site.
Www.flymphforum.com
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Sep 28, 2015September 28th, 2015, 9:15 am EDT
Welcome Eric.
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Sep 28, 2015September 28th, 2015, 2:16 pm EDT
Hi Eric and Welcome to the site.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Sep 28, 2015September 28th, 2015, 5:57 pm EDT
Welcome Eric - you'll find a lot of PA guys on here!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Smuggler
Smuggler's profile picture
Lebanon, Pa

Smuggler on Sep 29, 2015September 29th, 2015, 11:50 am EDT
Thanks guys for the welcome!
Www.flymphforum.com
Diablo
Diablo's profile picture
Eastern OK, and Gunnison, CO

Diablo on Oct 27, 2015October 27th, 2015, 5:21 pm EDT
Have lurked for some time, finally decided to climb aboard.....

Began casting when a kid with Dad's Phillipson rods.

Lived, worked, and fished in CO, WY, UT, and WA through the 70's.

But got away from fly fishing (due to working/living in other places) until the past few years.

Am getting obsessed with it again (back to CO again this year, finally).

Accordingly, rods seem to be accumulating again (a good thing!).

No bamboo currently......I can remember it, and appreciate it, but rarely fish with it.

Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Oct 27, 2015October 27th, 2015, 7:52 pm EDT
Diablo,

Welcome! For the most part we are harmless. :)

I think you have traveled a path a great many anglers have...You have to take care of business when you are younger, and finally, if you are lucky, you get to wet a line.

Good luck out there on the stream and don't forget to keep us posted.

You are in Colorado now? Not a bad place to be accumulating rods. :) Many places there to put them to work, I hear.

Spence

Quick Reply