Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

GaryO
Roseville, CA

GaryO on Jun 30, 2015June 30th, 2015, 9:50 am EDT
Any of you folks use one of these? Thanks...
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jun 30, 2015June 30th, 2015, 5:01 pm EDT
Use what? a lanyard? In Montana many of the guides use them instead of a vest. One little fly box, clippers, forceps, dry fly gunk, tippet spools, what else do you need?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Bigskydrift
Nemissoolatakoo

Bigskydrift on Nov 4, 2015November 4th, 2015, 9:11 pm EST
ya cool! I live in western Montana and don't have one, but it is on my hit list !
“I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.”

John Steinbeck,
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Nov 5, 2015November 5th, 2015, 3:35 am EST
I've got a Dr Slick lanyard I wear when it's too hot to wear a vest...just make sure I've got what I really need on the lanyard or packed in a shirt pocket, saves time sloshing back to shore- then to the truck- to my vest to get what I forgot. They come in handy under the right conditions, IMHO.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe

Quick Reply