Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 2, 2015April 2nd, 2015, 1:30 pm EDT
Apparently to you that means fish over 10" which is a random measure not to mention unscientific.

Yes, I'm very unscientific and probably not very much unlike most guys on this forum who want to feel a tug. I selected the unscientific length of 10" because IMO anything less than 10" isn't going to tug very hard and I will be bored. That is my opinion and I know lots of guys just love fishing little water for little fish and that is fine for them but not for me.

I'm not stating this on fish caught on hook and line instead what I am telling you is from data collected from electrofishing surveys.

For guys who fish the "caught on hook and line" is pretty much all we care about at the end of the day. Of course we are interested in the watershed as a whole and want it to be nice and pretty and self sustaining and all that other good stuff. But if the guy who is out on the water, who is pretty skillful, isn't catching those wild brooks, browns, and whatever else is there then the electrofishing survey results don't mean jack.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Apr 2, 2015April 2nd, 2015, 1:47 pm EDT
>>Well a "good head of wild fish"is a subjective term.>>

Exactly...

When we are talking about healthy small to medium Appalachian freestones, whether or not a stream has "good head of wild fish" has absolutely nothing to do with how large the fish are.

MiltRPowell
MiltRPowell on Apr 2, 2015April 2nd, 2015, 3:54 pm EDT
Wow,wow,wow,wow,wow,wow,wow,wow,wow,wow,wow,wow wow wow,woe....You only get out of a body of water, what ya put into it. Not meaning fish per say. If your home water needs help, help it. And to do that you have to get your hands dirty & work & listen to others that are in the know of things. As been there done that. As a body, you make changes not for man, but for the heath & welfare of the living things in your water. Then with some prayers & luck you notice change. As per, better habitat, better bugs, better water flow, better water, in all better, stronger fish, & growth in said Trout. It just don't happen, bitching on it,& sitting on ones said,ass!! And this is nothing I haven't stated before in said ,meetings on the creek this, the trout that, give me a brake. Hey if a tree falls down in your yard do you leave it there??? Same with home water,no ya remove it. Work it's called, do most people care,no, but matters to the ones that do care. Closing: Provide better, you get better, but whatever... whatever floats your fly.And you really try to have a nice day, with thinking the ckicken came before the egg......
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.

Quick Reply