Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flyfisher06
argyle ny near saratoga

Flyfisher06 on Jul 11, 2007July 11th, 2007, 10:36 pm EDT
I am planning a trip back down to the catskills this morning so I went on the web to view water and fishing conditions.As I scrolled down imagine my surprise seeing (A change of venue)pop up as one of the headlines.Well after seeing this Ijust wanted to write in and tell you how much I enjoy writing and reading on your site.If I am not fishing,next best thing is talking or hearing about trout.Thank you Jason,for all of the enjoyment. Todd
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
Flyfisher06
argyle ny near saratoga

Flyfisher06 on Jul 11, 2007July 11th, 2007, 10:41 pm EDT
Oh,by the way,I forgot to mention,I got wrapped up and never got my reports.I guess I'll have to check tonight.

tight lines all
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Jul 12, 2007July 12th, 2007, 7:02 am EDT
Flyfisher06:
WHere do you check water conditions?

I use this site:
http://water.usgs.gov/waterwatch/

It gives a good overview and some specifics, but I am wondering what else is out there.
Flyfisher06
argyle ny near saratoga

Flyfisher06 on Jul 12, 2007July 12th, 2007, 1:41 pm EDT
I use that also but also check local fly shops for the area try typing the river name or the area ie;catskills or type in nearby towns with the web it is alot of trial and era hope that helps Todd

Quick Reply