Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Gunnison
Gunnison's profile picture
Ohio City, Colorado

Gunnison on Jan 24, 2019January 24th, 2019, 10:49 pm EST

I'm just curious here...for you moving water trout fishermen out there, if you had to choose one fly to fish for an entire calendar year, what fly would you choose? I live and angle in Colorado's Gunnison Valley and I think I would choose a Pat's Rubberlegs Stonefly Nymph. Specifically a size 8 chocolate & black version. This nymph catches trout from mid-February all the way through mid-November throughout the Gunnison Valley and easily catches most of my fish each fishing season. If I'm nymphing, at least one of my flies is always a Pat's Rubberlegs. I'm interested what fly you would fish if you had to choose only one for an entire year?
Doug Dillingham
Author of " Fly Fishing the Gunnison Country "
Available at https://www.gunnisonflyfish.com
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 25, 2019January 25th, 2019, 7:26 am EST
While I prefer to fish dry 95% of the time if I was limited to one fly/size all year it would be a red bead head #6 Black Woolly Bugger. I can strip it, swing it, or fish it dead drift like a hellgrammite, leech, or crayfish.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jan 25, 2019January 25th, 2019, 8:57 am EST
Im in agreement with Matt in that I prefer dryfly fishing. The one fly that seems to work well in the general area I fish is EHC or some version of it. But I love tying many of the famous Michigan patterns, and lots of other stuff, its all good!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 25, 2019January 25th, 2019, 1:41 pm EST
A tough one. Probably some version of a Walt's Worm--with a beadhead. Or a size 18 blue wing olive comparadun.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 26, 2019January 26th, 2019, 3:43 am EST
Royal Wulff, size 10 or 12. The EHC is a very close second though, Mike...works everywhere all the time...choice #3 would be an Adams in size 12.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Jan 27, 2019January 27th, 2019, 12:25 pm EST
One year I did a challenge between all my favorite dry flies. I too am primarily a dry fly fisher.

What I did was take two different flies and fished each fly on each side of the rivers I fished. What ever fly won the first day kept in play till it was beaten by another fly on another day. But near the end of the Summer going into Fall, I took the best dry flies and did like a championship round.

The flies I fished with were:

Delaware Adams
Para Adams
Renegade
Griffith's Gnat
Elk Hair Caddis
Winged Ant
Royal Wulff

The winner was the Delaware Adams, followed by the Winged Ant. It was close between first and second. Third was the Renegade.

This was a really fun experiment and I will probably do it again. But because of that year, I'd have to pick the Delaware Adams above all others.

By the way, the Delaware Adams is the one fly I caught over 100 fish in one day; so why fish anything else?
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 30, 2019January 30th, 2019, 9:18 am EST
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Jan 31, 2019January 31st, 2019, 5:08 am EST

That was a fantastic little article. Thank you for sharing that Martin.

And to think that it works in the Rocky Mountains as well as back East.

Quick Reply