Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Jul 6, 2007July 6th, 2007, 3:01 am EDT
I have used Tyvek for wing casings a la Gonzo, and I love it for stoneflies. But I also started using it for legs-- I use an Xacto knife to cut very thin strips. Has anyone else tried this? I probably won't have a chance to thoroughly test out these patterns so I am curious to hear others' thoughts.
I am haunted by waters
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 6, 2007July 6th, 2007, 5:22 am EDT
James, some earlier versions of my Tyvek stoneflies did incorporate Tyvek legs a la Paul Schmookler. The method I used was to cut the entire set of legs from a single, folded piece of Tyvek (paper-doll style). The effect can be very nice. I would recommend sealing the legs with a good coat of Flexament or something similar. Otherwise, the Tyvek can sometimes separate at the tips with hard use.

Quick Reply