Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Outdoors198
Outdoors198 on Nov 20, 2015November 20th, 2015, 5:24 pm EST
Has anyone tried Hareline's Wiggle Dub or an equivalent? I'm wanting to hear people's experiences/opinions. Thanks!
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 20, 2015November 20th, 2015, 5:49 pm EST
Never heard of it. Can you tell me something about it? Is it a synthetic product? Is it fur? Please educate me.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 21, 2015November 21st, 2015, 2:01 am EST
If you don't know what it is then you haven't used it. Google can tell you what it is.

Not the most friendly answer or the one I was looking to receive. Of course I could Google it if I wanted to do that. I figured since you are somewhat of a newbie on this forum you might share some of your knowledge with me, and others, but I guess you either don't give a rat's ass or you just like giving me a smart ass answer.

Outdoors198
Outdoors198 on Nov 21, 2015November 21st, 2015, 5:08 am EST
You are right I apologize. I guess I wasn't in the best mood last night. It is no excuse. I think it is a natural dubbing with micro rubber legs added in for movement. I was also looking at Senyos shaggy dub which is micro silicone legs but I think that is all synthetic. I was curious about both for the added movement they might give. Versus regular, say, hares ear with plenty of guard hairs in a dubbing loop.
Planettrout
Planettrout's profile picture
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

Planettrout on Nov 22, 2015November 22nd, 2015, 6:29 am EST
Hareline's Wiggle Dub (similar to Swisher's GENERATION X DUBBING) is made using fine rubber. Sanyo's Shaggy Dub uses silicone.

I have tied with both.

Micro Rubber rots, mats together, globs into a mess and makes the pattern virtually unusable, if not completely dried out after use.

Silicone does not present that problem...

PT/TB
Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 22, 2015November 22nd, 2015, 7:07 am EST
PT wrote;

Micro Rubber rots

Yes, absolutely a waste of time to tie a nice fly with rubber legs. I learned the hard way and tied half a dozen hoppers with nice yellow legs and after about a year the legs were brittle and falling off. I've tied larger nymphs with "sili-legs" and I've had them for years and the legs are as supple now as when I first tied them.
Outdoors198
Outdoors198 on Nov 22, 2015November 22nd, 2015, 9:53 am EST
I am very glad to know about the rubber legs rotting so I don't waste time with it! Thankfully I bought a pack of sili legs recently! Thank you very much for the information everyone! I wonder if you could put sili legs in a coffee grinder and shred them into tinier fibers... Probably not.
Outdoors198
Outdoors198 on Nov 22, 2015November 22nd, 2015, 10:39 am EST
Hareline's Wiggle Dub (similar to Swisher's GENERATION X DUBBING) is made using fine rubber. Sanyo's Shaggy Dub uses silicone.

I have tied with both.

Micro Rubber rots, mats together, globs into a mess and makes the pattern virtually unusable, if not completely dried out after use.

PT/TB

Do you still tie with the shaggy dub? How do/did you like it?
Planettrout
Planettrout's profile picture
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

Planettrout on Nov 23, 2015November 23rd, 2015, 5:42 am EST

I have tied with both.

PT/TB

Do you still tie with the shaggy dub? How do/did you like it?

I have been using it for larger Caddis patterns (#6 - #10) and adding it to the dubbing mix for Seal Bugger type patterns. The silicone fiber sections are larger than micro rubber...

PT/TB
Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply