Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

By Troutnut on May 27th, 2014, 11:17 pm EDT
The Alaska Department of Fish & Game office here in Fairbanks does a nice job with instructional videos for the public. A while back they created a series on how to setline for burbot, and how to clean them, and now they've come out with a new video about how to fish for grayling. It nicely covers the basics for beginners to grayling or trout fishing, but non-beginners will still enjoy the shots of the Chena River and of grayling feeding underwater.

Comments / replies

Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on May 28, 2014May 28th, 2014, 7:06 am EDT
Thanks, Jason. Beautiful fish - brings back lots of memories. It's also nice to see that AK has some cute biologists that know how to handle tackle working for them! :)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 29, 2014May 29th, 2014, 6:16 pm EDT
Nice video and a nice looking lady doing the fishing.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on May 29, 2014May 29th, 2014, 6:36 pm EDT
That was great. Really well done. Just the right speed and manner for beginning fishers.

Quick Reply