Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

By Troutnut on April 24th, 2014
Things have melted here in Alaska just enough for me to slip and slide my way up the hilly, narrow, rutted trail of ice and mud leading to a scenic mountain where I sometimes find some ptarmigan in the fall. I was hoping to get a few birds for the table before the season closes on April 30th, but I climbed all over the little mountaintop and didn't see or hear a single one. Hunting is over for now, but grayling should be returning to fishable streams as I write.

Photos by Troutnut from Miscellaneous Alaska in Alaska

View toward the Minto Flats

From Murphy Dome in Alaska
Denali from near Murphy Dome. This was the clearest view of the mountain I've ever had from this far away (150 miles).

Abandoned ptarmigan habitat. I found a few white feathers from birds molting out of their winter plumage, but didn't see or hear any live ptarmigan.

Taiga and the Minto Flats

Denali from near Murphy Dome. I don't know what the peculiar bright light is shining near the top of the mountain on the right side. It was conspicuous like this for several minutes. I don't know what's up there that would reflect sunlight (or emit its own light) and look so much brighter than everything else from 150 miles away.

Comments / replies

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 29, 2014April 29th, 2014, 10:30 am EDT
Jason,

Wonderful! Now could you send it down this way?! :)

Spence

Glad to see you survived another winter there, sir.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on Apr 29, 2014April 29th, 2014, 2:11 pm EDT
Lots of water here and still below average temperatures. I fished the AuSable (Michigan) yesterday and the water temp maxed out at 49. Several fish taken on a wooly bugger; no hatches to speak of. Hendricksons are a week or so off, I'm told. First week of May is supposed to average about 10 degrees below "normal".

We are going to be way behind here with insect emergences.....

Quick Reply