Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Mcjames has attached this picture. The message is below.
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Apr 1, 2009April 1st, 2009, 1:03 pm EDT
I wanted to embed this image in another thread but I dont know how, so I am posting here and linking instead
I am haunted by waters
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 1, 2009April 1st, 2009, 1:10 pm EDT
Very nice, James! The wingcase markings are a ringer for Drew's Agnetina nymphs!
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Apr 1, 2009April 1st, 2009, 2:04 pm EDT
Beautiful flies, McJames. I love the abdomen especially, but it looks like the thread ribbing is sliding around on the second nymph. Perhaps a different material for the over-body is needed, something less slippery. Or, you could just cover the thing in Flexament.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
DOS
Buffalo, NY

DOS on Apr 1, 2009April 1st, 2009, 2:15 pm EDT
oh crap! wow Don't sneak that in my aquarium or I might mistake it for a rare stonefly species and ask Lloyd or Roger to help me ID it! :) :)

That is one heck of a fly, WELL DONE!!!!
Andrew Nisbet
Greenghost
New Brunswick

Greenghost on Apr 1, 2009April 1st, 2009, 2:45 pm EDT
DOS,Yes,I thought of the depth variable.What if???Two equally skilled anglers fished tandem nymphs through the same stetch,same time time/conditions,with the only variable being one fished a rigid point fly and wiggle dropper and the other does the opposite?As close to double blind experiment as it gets.
DOS
Buffalo, NY

DOS on Apr 1, 2009April 1st, 2009, 2:49 pm EDT
I say we give it a try Greenghost. Shall we fish your water or mine? Either way we'd be fishing!!!!
Andrew Nisbet
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 1, 2009April 1st, 2009, 4:29 pm EDT
McJames,

Absolutely stunningly beautiful nymphs! You are a consummate realistic tyer. But am wondering if they would be any more effective if you were fishing a riffle with another guy, with equal skills, who is using non-articulated stonefly nymphs.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 1, 2009April 1st, 2009, 5:24 pm EDT
Very nice, Mcjames!

Have you put those up on Hacklehead.com yet?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Patcrisci
Lagrangeville, NY

Patcrisci on Apr 2, 2009April 2nd, 2009, 1:43 am EDT
Mcjames -- gorgeous stones dude! If I were a trout I would gobble them up.
Pat Crisci
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Apr 2, 2009April 2nd, 2009, 3:47 am EDT
Trust me I am a very average tier (about 2 dozen failed prototypes in my trash to prove it), I just spent alot of time on this. I got quite obsessed for some reason. Shawn you make a good point-- I used vinyl from an old 3 ring binder for the over-body and it is slick. I should coat it.

I imagine the benefit, if any, of wiggle vs. rigid is marginal. But given my very average fishing skills and knowledge base, I need all the help I can get!

I am haunted by waters
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 2, 2009April 2nd, 2009, 8:36 am EDT
Mcjames,

"I used vinyl from an old 3 ring binder for the over-body and it is slick. I should coat it."

Send me your home address and I'll send you some black and yellow Swanundaze ribbing. I don't believe it is available any longer. It is flat on the side you wind onto the hook and radiused on the exterior. I used to come in opaque and translucent colors and wide and medium widths.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 2, 2009April 2nd, 2009, 8:56 am EDT
Matt,

A while back, Louis located a source (Canadian, as I recall) for Swannundaze. I grabbed all he would part with (probably a lifetime supply) for the overback on my scud pattern. If anyone is interested, he might still have the contact info.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 2, 2009April 2nd, 2009, 10:20 am EDT
I have forty packages of various colors and widths. The packages I have are marked;

F.A. Johnson Inc.
Lyndhurst, NJ 07071

I bought these about twenty years ago. If you don't tie that type of body often each package can last pretty much your life of tying.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 2, 2009April 2nd, 2009, 10:28 am EDT
I still have some of those old packages as well, but most of the Swannundaze that Louis located has a "Super Fly" label. It still says that it is a "product of USA," so I have no idea who manufactures it now (or even if they still do).
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Apr 2, 2009April 2nd, 2009, 12:12 pm EDT
I know you have a bit of a religious attachment to your Swannundaze scud pattern, Gonzo. Have you found that it fishes significantly differently from one tied with a normal soft-plastic back, all other parts being equal? What I'm really asking is if it's worth my trying to get a hold of this stuff.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 2, 2009April 2nd, 2009, 1:08 pm EDT
I know you have a bit of religious attachment to your Swannudaze scud pattern...

I not sure what you've heard, Shawn, but the attachment isn't religious, it's just fine gold wire.

What I'm really asking is if it's worth my trying to get a hold of this stuff.

After reading the description of your Scud Dun in the "April Fool's" thread, I frankly don't know how to answer that. What are you planning to do with it? No, wait, don't answer that. I don't think I want to know.

(Shawn, for a serious answer, check your PMs.)
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Apr 3, 2009April 3rd, 2009, 12:41 am EDT
WBranch that's very generous of you! I'll make you a deal: in exchange for the Swanundaze, I'll send you some wiggle patterns, and you can conduct the wiggle vs. non wiggle tests that everyone is clamoring for.
I am haunted by waters
Patcrisci
Lagrangeville, NY

Patcrisci on Apr 3, 2009April 3rd, 2009, 1:56 am EDT
WB, I also have a few packages of Swannundaze with the Frank Johnson marking. My favorites are the translucent colors that I use over threads, flosses or fur dubbings for bodies of stonefly nymphs and caddis pupae. I find that if you gently heat a strand of Swannundaze it becomes more pliable and easier to work with (it can be a bit stiff) and you can stretch it thinner to make small flies.
Pat Crisci
Patcrisci
Lagrangeville, NY

Patcrisci on Apr 3, 2009April 3rd, 2009, 2:00 am EDT
In the photo mcjames sent the abdomen of the larger of the two stoneflies looks very much like it could be made of Swannundaze.
Pat Crisci
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Apr 3, 2009April 3rd, 2009, 4:48 am EDT
the abdomen is actually made of some kind of plastic cord from my kids' beading kit. It really is a garbage fly
I am haunted by waters

Quick Reply