Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Dec 22, 2013December 22nd, 2013, 1:44 pm EST
Well Lastchance, Feathers5 or whatever his name is must have been a good boy this year. I had the pleasure to take him to one of my local limestoners last Wednesday and he managed to catch quite a few fish, some nice brook trout, a couple rainbows, and this bruiser of a brown. Christmas came early.

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 22, 2013December 22nd, 2013, 5:59 pm EST
Eric,

We will never hear the end of it...Thanks! :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 4:54 am EST
All of the credit goes to Eric. He gave me the fly and showed me the fish.
That wasn't nearly the biggest fish we saw. There are fish in that water I'd be afaid to hook. Upon further study we found the brown pictured to be unable to see or smell and he refused to answer any of our questions. I released him. We had a great day.

Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 5:43 am EST
Very nice fish! Were you sight fishing nymphs?
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 6:16 am EST

Yes, we were, and it was a blast.
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 6:18 am EST

Yes.

As a side note, The angle of the fish when Bruce was holding it for a photo does not do that fish justice. Although it was only 20" it's girth was impressive. Unfortunately, I saw a picture of a brown that was poached from that stream on Saturday that was 37" and at least 17 lbs. What a shame...
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 6:44 am EST
Eric,

We will never hear the end of it...Thanks! :)

Spence

And, Spence, I didn't fall in the water. What a day!
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 6:46 am EST
Oh and by the way, ol' Bruce sure did make some strange noises when he hooked that fish.
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 7:26 am EST
C'Mon, Eric, we all get gas.
Kschaefer3
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 8:02 am EST

Yes.

As a side note, The angle of the fish when Bruce was holding it for a photo does not do that fish justice. Although it was only 20" it's girth was impressive. Unfortunately, I saw a picture of a brown that was poached from that stream on Saturday that was 37" and at least 17 lbs. What a shame...

I think the photo does it justice, if you know what to look for. I appreciate that you didn't smash it's face into the lens of the camera to make it look 37".

37"?!?!?! I know there are some huge browns in spring creeks, but that's musky (albeit a small musky) sized! I located a 25"+ brown this summer and thought I was onto something. I am sad to find out how wrong I was. I'm considering quitting my job today and driving to Boiling Springs, PA, thanks guys!!!

Sorry, I was distracted thinking about the size of that fish. That is a shame. I wish people had more respect for our natural resources.

I have never sight fished nymphs. It seems like the only type of nymphing I would be into, as it's more similar to fishing dries. Were you using small midge type flies?
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 8:29 am EST
Were you using small midge type flies?

no
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 8:31 am EST
C'Mon, Eric, we all get gas.

That wasn't gas. it sounded more like a wounded rabbit...
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 11:48 am EST
I'm pissed! Not one person commented on my Santa Hat. Who cares about the damn fish!
Kschaefer3
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 12:17 pm EST
I'm pissed! Not one person commented on my Santa Hat. Who cares about the damn fish!

Nice santa hat, Bruce!

This would be like getting pissed if you show a bunch of junior high boys a picture of a naked lady wearing gloves, then asked them what color gloves she had on. "What gloves?" would likely be your standard answer :)
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 12:29 pm EST
Bruce,
I hardly even noticed you had a hat on. I was far to busy wondering where you ha that pretty blue bottle that keeps you warm.

Nice Fish by the way.

I believe I may now have to try and corrupt Eric into sharing some streams with me. Although I believe i know where that lad lives. I have landed several fish over 24" from that particular body of water but that was in the days before it was a hot spot. I really like the sections that feel like work to fish and I am not referring to the difficulty of the fish, but rather how strenuous it can be to move about.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 3:24 pm EST
How about it Matt, you gotta love that pretty, blue bottle.
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 3:25 pm EST

Nice santa hat, Bruce!

This would be like getting pissed if you show a bunch of junior high boys a picture of a naked lady wearing gloves, then asked them what color gloves she had on. "What gloves?" would likely be your standard answer :)

There sure would be a lot of places to hang that Santa hat. Ha!
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 3:32 pm EST
WOW guys, nice job, I'm envious! We've been so totally in the deep freeze here (couldn't even get out of my driveway yesterday) that all I've been thinking about is ice fishing, and the one time I have been out (last Tuesday) the danged ice was already almost a foot thick! The Pine is closed and the Rifle, well I doubt they are plowing the access roads and parking lots right now...and my kayaking spots are all of course ice fishing spots until April or so...*sigh*...

Good job guys! I think the photos do the brownie justice, especially the one looking up from the net - the size and shape of the jaws are very impressive, I'd hate to be a parr, minnow, or crayfish in his territory!

Merry Christmas, guys!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 5:42 pm EST
I think it is a fine photo and does great justice to the size of that brown. It is a gorgeous trout and I think everyone on this site would be happy to land one like that.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 23, 2013December 23rd, 2013, 6:59 pm EST

Nice santa hat, Bruce!

Well put Kyle. As Jonathon said, we are on the edge of a deep freeze up here in Michigan as you are where you are, but you and Brucie took the edge off this frosty evening. It is a nice hat, and as Matt said a fish we all would love to tangle with.

Happy Christmas there Bruce, and all the rest of you TroutNuts!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply