Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Fishmutt
Fishmutt's profile picture
Durango, Co

Fishmutt on Jun 24, 2013June 24th, 2013, 6:03 am EDT
Last Saturday I played a young rainbow that was partly silver & partly dark green. I've encountered both colorations B4 but not a fish with a mix of the dark & silver. Is this a dietary influence, a morph change or an indicator of a health problem?

Fishmutt
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jun 24, 2013June 24th, 2013, 6:59 am EDT
Most likely has to do with ambient lighting the fish was in.
Sayfu
Sayfu on Jun 24, 2013June 24th, 2013, 7:04 am EDT

Partly dark green on top, and silver on the bottom? Natural camo if that is the case.
Fishmutt
Fishmutt's profile picture
Durango, Co

Fishmutt on Jun 24, 2013June 24th, 2013, 9:56 am EDT
Actually the colors were sharpley divided but erratically around the girth.
Very pronounced. Looked kind of like a birthmark boundary.

Fishmutt
MontanaMike
MontanaMike's profile picture
MontanaMike on Jul 10, 2013July 10th, 2013, 8:55 pm EDT
Rainbows come in all kinds of different patterns. Ive taken photos of almost all my decent sized fish and its amazing to see the difference. Time of year, mating, water color, etc. all have an effect on their color IMO
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jul 11, 2013July 11th, 2013, 2:41 am EDT
I agree. Ive caught rainbows with the silvery coloration dominant and pronounced as well as the variation where it looks more greenish and the iridescent stripe is kind of more cutthroaty looking because its a deeper more pronounced color as well.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jul 12, 2013July 12th, 2013, 9:21 am EDT
Individual and environmental differences are strong influences on appearance but genetics also comes into play. Various strains have developed distinct looks while adapting to their environments over time. Native races in their native habitat tend to be more uniform in their appearance. Introducing multiple cultured strains into non-native environments produces a lot of variation as some specimens will display traits of different parentage more strongly. The look FM is describing (spotted dark green back, plain silver without spots below the median) is typical of the Kamloop strain (lake dwelling rainbows from BC) and most steelhead races. The McCloud race (used by the culturists that started it all) are heavily spotted below the median and are more brightly colored.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply