Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

DayTripper has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
DayTripper
DayTripper's profile picture
Northern MI

DayTripper on Jun 7, 2013June 7th, 2013, 7:36 pm EDT
I am pretty sure this is a March Brown female but wanted to post here to confirm. I caught one with the egg sac hanging out a few minutes before, and then pulled in two mating pairs where the female had this red belly full of eggs. Pretty excited about it! Thanks!
DayTripper
DayTripper's profile picture
Northern MI

DayTripper on Jun 7, 2013June 7th, 2013, 8:25 pm EDT
Sure did, I've actually got a couple dozen different bugs I'm planning to post here for help on the ID, just don't want to blow the place up :)
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 10, 2013June 10th, 2013, 1:50 pm EDT
Nice pic!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply