Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

DayTripper
DayTripper's profile picture
Northern MI

DayTripper on Jul 2, 2009July 2nd, 2009, 1:13 am EDT

Found this female dun on the East Branch of the Delaware the first weekend in June. It was ~30mm long. I'm pretty sure it's a female distinctus dun, but was hoping someone could confirm. Thanks.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 2, 2009July 2nd, 2009, 4:41 am EDT
Alex,

This is Ephemera varia. A 30mm size estimate is well above what is typical for either E. varia or A. distinctus, though the size range for varia is underestimated in books like Hatches and Mayflies. They give 13-16mm as the range for both species, but the varia females that I've collected from the Yellow Breeches run between 17-20mm.
DayTripper
DayTripper's profile picture
Northern MI

DayTripper on Jul 2, 2009July 2nd, 2009, 5:12 am EDT
Thanks Gonzo, I really appreciate it. I knew it had to be one of the two (distinctus or varia), but as you mentioned, the large size didn't fit what my reference books had listed. I know looking at coloration is a no-no when identifying bugs, but the coloration seemed more of a match to the distinctus color plate in Hatches, so I ran with it. Thanks, again.

Quick Reply