Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Oct 22, 2007October 22nd, 2007, 9:38 am EDT
Gene,
"Is anything cheaper in the Lehigh area?"

That is a good one. If you think the transplants from the Baltimore/D.C. have messed things up here. The NY/NJ refugees are much worse (IMHO). My parents place which they bought for $35K 27 years ago was recently appraised at $200K, and that is a rancher on less than .25 acres that was built in the early 50's. So no it ain't any cheaper.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Gene
Gene on Oct 22, 2007October 22nd, 2007, 5:45 pm EDT
John:

I know what you mean. The real problem is the inflated price for what you get. I mean the houses are small and relatively plain to say the least. When I first moved down here over 20 years ago this was the cheapest place around. If you check the median income of these small towns versus the housing and rent prices....it just doesn't add up to even the "richies" moving in from the other states. The real estate market in the area is monopoly. There are so many homes on the market yet they still don't reflect in anyway shape or form what the houses are really worth.

The utilities are also off the wall in this area and I understand that they will rise considerably in the future. I feel like selling everything except my fishing and hunting gear, buy a camper van and live on the stream. Unfortunately, I would need a 60 foot motor home (if they make them that large) just to hold the fishing stuff.

And there aren't any good looking rich women around...cause I've been looking.

Oh well

dancing nymphs and big trout for everyone

tight lines

gene
www.limestoner.com

Quick Reply