Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Tipulidae (Crane Fly) True Fly Adult from unknown in Wisconsin
This is a small cranefly species.
Manny
Manny on Jun 9, 2007June 9th, 2007, 5:31 pm EDT
I was fly fishing a tailwater in Indiana when I noticed a {hatch} of what I thought were sulfers(dorothea,invaria). But after further inspection they had the makup of a crane fly and also were a pale yellowish color. Could this be a crane fly species?
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 9, 2007June 9th, 2007, 5:36 pm EDT
Definitely. Small pale yellow craneflies are especially common on trout streams. I don't know any more about those species, but I'm sure trout go for them at times.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 9, 2007June 9th, 2007, 5:54 pm EDT
Yes, Flyfisher's Paradise in State College even has its own patterns for orange and yellow craneflies, and I've had very good luck with the flies in autumn.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Jun 10, 2007June 10th, 2007, 1:24 am EDT
Cranefly larvae are often really huge, and probably a juicy treat for a hungry fish. What kinds of patterns mimic these, and how commonly are they used?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 10, 2007June 10th, 2007, 4:51 am EDT
Konchu-

Probably, the vast majority of flyfishers have never specifically set about to imitate crane fly larvae. However, 3-4XL hooks utilizing a dubbed body of muskrat fur would be standard fare for such imitation.

Two patterns suggested in Western Hatches by Hafele/Hughes are Polly Roseborough's Muskrat, and Ernest Schwiebert's Western Crane Fly Larva. The imitations are said to be most effective fished tumbling along the bottom, shortly following a spate, which has disturbed their larval habitat.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jun 10, 2007June 10th, 2007, 1:46 pm EDT
Another good crane fly larval imitation is the Walt's Worm. The larval crane fly imitations I've seen are basically really vaguely buggy, cigar-shaped imitations that work for both caddis and crane fly larva. Perhaps it's not a lucrative enough hatch to try to imitate them specifically (or they may just be similar enough to caddisflies that most fisherman simply imitate both with the same larval imitation), but I can recall days her in Central PA when crane flies were the only things flying around.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Invicta
Tulare, CA

Invicta on Jun 10, 2007June 10th, 2007, 2:01 pm EDT
I agree with Taxon, the vast majority of tiers do not imitate a crane fly larva, but they should. In the waters that I consider my backyard (Golden Trout Wilderness, Sequoia NF, CA) a crane fly larva is a mandatory summer pattern for the meadow sections of streams. One of the local species is the Giant Western Crane fly (Holorusia rubiginosa). A proper imitation of a mature larva may go up to 50mm by mid-summer, which I have used only in the largest of the surrounding streams, but then it has accounted for rainbows over 22”. Most often we use smaller patterns. One I can recommend, to be added to the pattern listed by Shawn, can be found at Charlie Craven’s website, under Crane fly larva, it's the one I use:

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com

If you are unsure of the size, stay small.

John

Quick Reply