Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Apr 11, 2013April 11th, 2013, 7:52 am EDT
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Apr 11, 2013April 11th, 2013, 8:02 am EDT
I've been attacked by muskrats. At least you can step aside.
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Apr 11, 2013April 11th, 2013, 8:06 am EDT
This changes my perception of beavers. Good thing I always leave after they tail slap a pool. I saw one on the North Shore in Minnesota that had to go 50-60 lbs. It tail slapped then swam around the pool, and me, keeping just a little distance. I decided it was a good time to leave.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 11, 2013April 11th, 2013, 3:34 pm EDT
Just remember folks, they cut down trees with those teeth - try doing that yourself! Nevertheless, I did get the chance to see one at fairly close range last summer, building a new dam in one of my favorite sections of the Pine. (Can't wait to check THAT out after the opener!) We respected each other and never got too close, but this animal seemed to regard me with no fear but no aggression either, no tail slapping and the beaver got into and out of the water about six feet away from me. I've been around plenty of them, never had a problem but when they start slapping their tails I can't imagine the trout are eager to bite...and many, many years ago during my formative years one slapped right behind me AT NIGHT and scared the wits out of me!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Apr 12, 2013April 12th, 2013, 4:49 am EDT
one slapped right behind me AT NIGHT and scared the wits out of me!

Last summer I was mouse fishing in an area I didn't know very well. I was fishing a big sand flat adjacent to a very deep pool. I had something explode on my fly that I am pretty sure was a trout. Not long after I could just make out some movement on the sand flat. It was swimming towards me slowly. When I could tell it was only 15' away I turned on my headlamp. I had a beaver staring right at me. About a second after the light went on he gave me a mean look, slapped his tail and dove under water. I am not sure if my heart was beating faster after that or the crash on my mouse. I don't think there was a feeding trout within 100 yards of the pool after that though, so I quickly left and called it a night.
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Apr 12, 2013April 12th, 2013, 10:00 am EDT
I wasn't going to post this but the guy did say it was like fishing. It's a bit long but the first 5 min. will suffice. Once you get past the first 30 seconds keep watching because when he says "it's like fishing" the fun begins
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."

Quick Reply