Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Feb 23, 2013February 23rd, 2013, 1:38 pm EST
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 23, 2013February 23rd, 2013, 2:49 pm EST
R. fuscula?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Feb 23, 2013February 23rd, 2013, 5:53 pm EST
Yup - both R. fuscula and its sister species R. formosa have very distinctive, although different head and thoracic color patterns. Real nice pics for a live? specimen.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Feb 23, 2013February 23rd, 2013
Real nice pics for a live? specimen.

Yes Dave...Our very own Thomas Ames! It's nice he's no longer "hiding his light under a bushel". Only problem...I just get something worked out, or think I have, and his pics drive me back to the vice and my head is spinning. :) It's not like I'm caught up or anywhere close to it, probably never will be.

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Feb 24, 2013February 24th, 2013, 6:58 am EST
Yes this last series of photos were all of live specimens, although they were dying pretty quickly as I put them into the set up for photographing them. It took this person of polish heritage a little while to figure out that the lighting was making the water very,very warm...
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 24, 2013February 24th, 2013, 1:04 pm EST
No worries, Eric. The replacement bulbs we are now compelled to buy are quite cool.:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply