Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Alloperla (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Brodhead Creek in Pennsylvania
This specimen was completely green when I collected it from among many others gathered on a midstream rock along with their nymphal shucks early in the morning. There was also a yellow one with them, which I assumed was a different species. Now that I've seen how this one started changing from green to yellow, I have to wonder if they weren't the same species and the yellow one was just older.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 5, 2007June 5th, 2007, 2:41 pm EDT
I just want to double-check this ID, because I've got a couple on-stream pictures of these flies to add. Can anyone confirm?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 5, 2007June 5th, 2007, 4:46 pm EDT
Jason-

I believe so, but am unable to key it without being able to see hind wing venation. Do you have a photo which clearly displays hind wing venation?

If I were to guess at this point, it would be Haploperla brevis. However, if you have a photo clearly showing hind wing venation, it can accurately be keyed to (at least) genus.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 6, 2007June 6th, 2007, 9:25 am EDT
This certainly looks like Chloroperlidae to me, but I've long been curious about the species. The late May/early June emergence of this species has always been heavy in the Brodhead drainage. The fish largely ignore them when the olive morning dun hatch is in progress, but I've had some success imitating them on early June mornings after the main Drunella hatch ends. I like Roger's Haploperla brevis guess, mostly because it was on the short list of species I was considering as candidates. I'd love to know the species ID for sure, but I doubt that the pictures provide the means to take this specimen to that level.
Myersl
Plattsburgh, NY

Myersl on Apr 8, 2010April 8th, 2010, 3:36 am EDT
Judging the green color and the size of the adult, all signs indicate to me that this is most likely the genus Alloperla.
myersl

Quick Reply