Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Feathers5
Feathers5 on Jan 9, 2013January 9th, 2013, 4:44 am EST
Well, said, Crepuscular.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 9, 2013January 9th, 2013, 11:53 am EST
So Crepuscular,

When did you say I should go to the Letort? February and March? Is that a good time for little Baetis? Do you fish from the head down to the I-81 bridge?

What would be a good air temperature to consider that bugs might be out & about? Would the bugs be in the #20 - #22 range or bigger? I was thinking my 8' #4 would be a good length - what do you use? What time of day would the hatch be strong?

I'd like to hook up with you but I don't fish on weekends, only weekdays.

Thanks.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Jan 10, 2013January 10th, 2013, 2:43 pm EST
Matt, now i hope your not considering going to the LETORT and not Big Spring Creek considering i could spit from one stream to the other. And the best part - I fish ONLY on weekdays too! Well i definitely fish weekends, whenever i can actually, but i get in on weekdays the most ;)
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 10, 2013January 10th, 2013, 3:13 pm EST
Jesse,

I've decided that the lesser of the two evils (sorry I couldn't resist it) is the Letort. It's about 25 minutes closer and in my rememberance has far more depth, and fishyness, than BSC. I guess I'll just wait for a decent weather day, meaning 50 degrees or better, and not too sunny and head on up. I see the forecast for next Tuesday is 58 but showers. I'm okay with a drizzle, or a light shower, but for me to fish in rain I need big steelhead swimming near me.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 10, 2013January 10th, 2013, 3:24 pm EST
Crepuscular,

So aren't you gonna respond to my inquiry of Jan 09? I need some hatch info, you don't have to tell me what weed bed that 20" brown is hiding in just some fly and emergence data.

Quick Reply