Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Aug 11, 2012August 11th, 2012, 7:28 pm EDT
This girl was on my screen door today. I don't see as many as I used to.

Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Aug 11, 2012August 11th, 2012, 9:15 pm EDT
What a beauty!

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Sayfu
Sayfu on Aug 12, 2012August 12th, 2012, 6:15 am EDT

Here's an aspect of my aquatic insect focus...I am embarrassed to say that many times I can not describe the color. And I am not color blind. To have it described as a brown/ olive, or just an olive, amber, and other colors, I have to say, "OK, I'll go with that," but sure couldn't be the one making the judgment most of the time.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Aug 12, 2012August 12th, 2012, 9:25 am EDT
You are not alone in that. Color is a tricky thing. Lighting (sheer amount and reflected) alters things tremendously. Some of the bug descriptions we read about may have been done with even and particular lighting through a lens.

Practically speaking, in my tying, I believe that color is less important than other things -except maybe to my aesthetic sense.
Sayfu
Sayfu on Aug 12, 2012August 12th, 2012, 9:28 am EDT
Paul,
And I agree about the aspect of color as not being tremendously important, yet I give it high regard in my tying.
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Aug 12, 2012August 12th, 2012, 3:47 pm EDT
Lighting (sheer amount and reflected) alters things tremendously.

I guess this is why some colors may be more important than others.
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Aug 12, 2012August 12th, 2012, 4:25 pm EDT
Eric, Would you be willing to expand on that?
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Aug 12, 2012August 12th, 2012, 4:54 pm EDT
Well, trying not to be too verbose, the way light reacts when coming into contact with different colors is different. A simple example would be lighter colors reflecting light while darker colors absorb light. The physics behind the way light reacts to different colors and materials gets pretty complex pretty quick and is WAY beyond my basic knowledge of the physics of light. I guess what I meant was that at certain times of day with different insects (in different stages of development), color may or may not play a role in successfully imitating that insect. The way I approach fly design ( and fishing in general) is to try and take as many of the variables out of the equation as possible. So if I can get the "color" as close as possible to the natural, not only the hue but also translucency, that is a good thing.
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Aug 12, 2012August 12th, 2012, 5:43 pm EDT
I see. Thanks.
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Aug 13, 2012August 13th, 2012, 3:55 am EDT
Paul, do you think I'm off base? I feel that in order of importance, color comes after presentation and size. But sometimes color has to play a role in what is the trigger for a fish to recognize a food source and cause it to eat.
Sayfu
Sayfu on Aug 13, 2012August 13th, 2012, 5:42 am EDT

I'm big on the profile, and with some patterns motion before color. Many times that comparadun wing is the trigger with a dry fly IMO. But I am tweaking that color thing all the time. And I'm calling color the one strand of crystal flash in the tail as color. Don't know if that should be inclusive, or not.
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Aug 13, 2012August 13th, 2012, 10:24 am EDT
Eric, no I don't think you are off base. What you, and Sayfu, are saying make sense and are along the lines with what I do. I just don't know REALLY know. And I'm always curious about what others think.

I will say that IN GENERAL, I'm skeptical about the importance of color in most fishing. In my fishing (of all types) I've not found actual color (wavelength) to be terribly important in ways I can really sort out -except possibly to me. Certain colors make me go "Oooooo! Gotta have that!" But that may be more "human" than "fish". Tough to sort out what's in my head and what's in the fish's head. And I’ve tried. I've read up on what's known about fish color vision from its evolutionary history to the specific wavelengths various species are sensitive too. And they point to some possibilities, which tend to create theories that may be better based but certainly not definitive. Too many variables washing over us hour by hour out there.

Cutting away the variables, as you describe, is a smart way to go. And why not? At the same time, I've tried not to ADD variables that may not actually exist. I'm personally not convinced that, beyond general brightness, particular colors matter enough to worry about -with a few notable exceptions. Angler color theories can indeed get “off base” due I believe to the fact that we humans are so color oriented, and know so little about it outside of that.

If color details mattered I suppose it would show up in trout FF where our flies are apt to be scrutinized in shallow clear water. In other types of fishing, color is over-rated. It's one of the mysticisms in fishing that I can do without. I'm not closed, hence my asking about your thoughts, but remain skeptical in a general sense.

Quick Reply