Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Nov 20, 2019November 20th, 2019, 11:38 am EST
I have been fishing through the fall, and have seen many bwo hatches, while I have not got my hands on one, I have noticed there colors. Maybe its my old eyes, but most appear to me to be a light dun color, almost translucent. I have some superfine blue dun dubbing which is a light colored dun. Anyone have some suggestions on any other dubbing which may work to get that lighter dun color?
Thanks, Mike.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 20, 2019November 20th, 2019, 4:30 pm EST
Muskrat belly underfur?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
BoulderWork
BoulderWork on Nov 21, 2019November 21st, 2019, 12:48 am EST
Might want to also consider Beaver fur dubbing. Waterproof, fine fibers that can allow a tight fur dub for abdomen.
Partsman
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Nov 21, 2019November 21st, 2019, 10:18 am EST
Thanks guys, I have some muskrat, all the beaver I have is dyed, but im going down to my local fly shop tomorrow so will look for some beaver!
Mike.
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Nov 30, 2019November 30th, 2019, 5:45 am EST
I don't know if this will help you or not, this is a photo I took from across the pond of a BWO dun on the last day of our inland trout fishing season this past October.

Partsman
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Nov 30, 2019November 30th, 2019, 12:22 pm EST
Yes! Thank you Wiflyfisher, more translucent dun colored than green. Im working on some sort of dubbing. But you hit the nail on the head.
Thanks, Mike.

Quick Reply