Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionMaple rapids, mi
Dates Fished07/09/12
Time of Day8:00pm
Fish Caughtnada

Details and Discussion

Strmanglr
Strmanglr's profile picture
Strmanglr on Jul 10, 2012July 10th, 2012, 8:29 am EDT
I know it's not a fly fishing report so much but those in Michigan might be interested to know there was a huge Pike die off this last week on the Maple R. due to the high temps. I walked the shoreline for about 60yds and counted 21 dead pike that I could see on my side of the river. Where I was at it's really wide so I couldn't see the other shoreline.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 10, 2012July 10th, 2012, 9:44 am EDT
How big were these fish? Are you sure it was temperature? Not necessarily doubting it but could it possibly have been VHS? It happened to muskies in Lake St. Clair a few years ago.

Jonathon

P.S. It's been a while since I've thrown any flies at pike, and there are supposed to be some big ones in the Au Sable River system...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Jul 10, 2012July 10th, 2012, 3:07 pm EDT
Same thing in SW Michigan, inland lakes have dead pike floating all over the place. Grand Rapids TV news ran a story on it, from appearances the fish were 20-25" long. They said cause was high water temps, MI DNR has not commented though.
We've got near-drought conditions in SW MI, local rivers are near- or at- record-low flow levels. Really weird weather, since 30 miles north has had rainfall of inch-an-hour or more.
I spent last week on the Big Manistee and feeder creeks, had to get off the water by 9 am due to heat...in the 90's by noon.

The Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jul 13, 2012July 13th, 2012, 9:10 am EDT
Canadian biologists have for some time now been documenting the expansion of warmwater fisheries (particularly smallmouth bass) and the loss of certain coldwater fisheries (Cisco and mooneye in particular).

Pike, esp mature ones, are coolwater fish.

Quick Reply