Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This topic is about the Mayfly Genus Stenonema

Many of America's traditional flies, like the March Brown and the Light and Dark Cahills, originated in the Catskills to imitate the mayflies of this genus. Caucci and Nastasi wrote of them in Hatches II:

"There is a matrimony between Stenonema flies and Catskill rivers that is as synonymous as ham and eggs."

By far the most important species is Stenonema vicarium, variants of which are known to anglers as the March Brown and Gray Fox. Of the others in the "Cahill" group, Stenonema ithaca is the next most important, along with Stenonema modestum and Stenonema pulchellum, which also produce localized fishable hatches. These lesser species together with a few species of Stenacron and the Stenonema femoratum represent the sporadic Light Cahill hatches on evenings in late Spring that often continue throughout the Summer.

Example specimens

Jmw975
Guelph, Ontario

Jmw975 on May 21, 2012May 21st, 2012, 4:53 am EDT
Male Stenonema femoratum collected from the Grand River, Ontario. Note the 3 spots at the hind margins of each of the abdominal segments.

Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on May 21, 2012May 21st, 2012, 8:03 am EDT
Thanks Jeff, for the excellent photo and determination. Readers note that besides the three spots that are clearly seen, spots are also just visible on seg's 3 and 8. The dark transverse dashes are a little harder to make out, but they look to be present as well. The crowded crossveins below the bulla are also indicative of femoratum. This is the last Stenonema species left in what is now the least important genus (to anglers) of the related group. See the genus topic article as well as the family article in the hatch encyclopedia for a brief explanation.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmw975
Guelph, Ontario

Jmw975 on May 21, 2012May 21st, 2012, 10:24 am EDT
Thanks. Did I post this in the right place? I was hoping to have it show up under the species in the aquatic insect encyclopedia.

Here's a lateral shot of another male specimen:
Between the two photos you can clearly see the crowded crossveins in the bulla and the three transverse spots/dashes on the abdominal terga.

A preserved nymph showing the highly distinctive sternal colour pattern:

and now I'm going fishin' :)

Jeff
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on May 21, 2012May 21st, 2012, 10:43 am EDT
Thanks for the ventral! They're hard to find and much easier to work with than descriptions. BTW, you posted in the right place. See PM just sent.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply