Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Willmilne has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Willmilne
Manitoba Canada

Willmilne on Jul 3, 2008July 3rd, 2008, 10:38 am EDT
Hi

Found some of these lovely nymphs while out - any suggestions as to species?

thanks

Will

GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 3, 2008July 3rd, 2008, 12:04 pm EDT
My first impression is that it is a Maccaffertium (formerly Stenonema) nymph. That said, however, you have some heptageniids up there with which I am not at all familiar. It is a very striking specimen and ripe to hatch (a "blackwing"). Perhaps Roger or Konchu can offer another opinion.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 3, 2008July 3rd, 2008, 7:15 pm EDT

These are the two Heptageniid nymphs on Will's website. I arranged them similarly aligned for comparison purposes.

In late May, I suggested the one on the left was probably Leucrocuta maculipennis. My guess is that the one on the right may be either Heptagenia flavescens or Maccaffertium modestum. How's that for hedging?

In any event, Will certainly does have a talent for photographing aquatic insects.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Willmilne
Manitoba Canada

Willmilne on Jul 4, 2008July 4th, 2008, 3:39 am EDT
Thanks for the suggestions on ID.So much to learn. I guess I have to start learning to photograph the key details and get a little more focused. I am at the moment simply taken with the beauty and subtle variations of color in these, sometimes at first glance , rather drab looking insects. Glad you are enjoying the pics Roger.

Would you think this is the same species at a different stage, the markings are very similar - it was collected at the same time. Much lighter and more yellow olive in tone and lacking the lower leg banding.

http://www.watersidemb.ca/heptanymph7b.jpg

cheers

Will
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 4, 2008July 4th, 2008, 6:10 am EDT
Will,

The photo in the link does appear to be the same species, but not as "ripe" yet. Overall, I am leaning toward a Maccaffertium ID because the gills look more like that genus than Heptagenia to me.

By the way, I came across a recent article in the Journal of Insect Science that proposed a new species, Heptagenia whitingi (considered a sister taxon of H. flavescens). The dorsal photo included in the article appeared to match the markings of your other specimen (the one on the left in Roger's comparison) almost exactly, except that it is a paler version (probably due to preservation in alcohol). What first caught my attention was the mention of the large, pale rectangular markings on abdominal tergum 4 as an important diagnostic character. (However, please note the comment about H. adaequata in the larval diagnosis.) The other interesting aspect was the use of DNA "barcoding." It's just a thought, but you can find the article at:

http://insectscience.org/7.63/

(I wish I could make that a direct link, but I can't seem to get BBCode to work here. My computer skills suck, so I'm probably doing something wrong.)
Dhfunk
Avondale PA

Dhfunk on Nov 15, 2008November 15th, 2008, 5:51 am EST
H. whitingi seems reasonable for the one on the left. The one on the right looks a perfect match for Stenonema femoratum. If you were to flip the specimen over and find a series of dark sublateral spots on each side of the abdominal segments, that would nail it.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Nov 15, 2008November 15th, 2008, 7:30 am EST
Nice of you to pick up on this one, David. I sometimes forget to consider femoratum now that it is stranded on its own. The illustration in Spieth (of "S. femoratum tripunctatum," 1947) and especially the photo in Lewis (of "S. tripunctatum," 1974) do look very much like Will's other specimen. Thanks for pointing things in the right direction!

Quick Reply