Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Grammotaulius betteni (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This is a striking caddis larva with an interesting color pattern on the head. Here are some characteristics I was able to see under the microscope, but could not easily expose for a picture:
- The prosternal horn is present.
- The mandible is clearly toothed, not formed into a uniform scraper blade.
- The seems to be only 2 major setae on the ventral edge of the hind femur.
- Chloride epithelia seem to be absent from the dorsal side of any abdominal segments.
Based on these characteristics and the ones more easily visible from the pictures, this seems to be Grammotaulius. The key's description of the case is spot-on: "Case cylindrical, made of longitudinally arranged sedge or similar leaves," as is the description of the markings on the head, "Dorsum of head light brownish yellow with numerous discrete, small, dark spots." The spot pattern on the head is a very good match to figure 19.312 of Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019). The species ID is based on Grammotaulius betteni being the only species of this genus known in Washington state.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Msmith14
Msmith14's profile picture
Msmith14 on Apr 23, 2012April 23rd, 2012, 3:22 pm EDT
Hi I herd from a few people that lake run browns make a second run into the streams around this time of year but im not sure if this is true. What do you guys think?
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 23, 2012April 23rd, 2012, 7:01 pm EDT
Who told you such drivel? Mostly untrue except maybe if the streams you are referring to get a spring steelhead run and maybe the browns follow them up to eat the eggs.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Msmith14
Msmith14's profile picture
Msmith14 on Apr 24, 2012April 24th, 2012, 2:45 am EDT
Thats what im saying. They got me excited for a minute:(
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Apr 25, 2012April 25th, 2012, 6:59 am EDT
Well...kinda. You are on Lake O, yes? If so, there are two possible scenarios:

1). When the southern shore warms it draws huge numbers salmonids, along with many browns. Some of these fish (smaller ones in my exp, 2-4lbs) will ascend tribs a short ways (a few miles in some cases), provided there is enough flow -like spring with freshets. These are feeding fish, bright pelagic silver, and don't stay long. I've found them though and they are a surprise on light trout tackle.

2). I was told by a DEC biologist that some very large browns were appearing in the large tribs (Salmon River he was referring to) in July. He was wondering if this was some photoperiod entrainment issue at the hatchery. I was doing research at the time on photoperiod which is how we got to chatting. I couldn't help him there -kinda doubted that it was years old photoperiod. I suggested they were either in feeding, were still hangers-on from spring (some browns winter over in large pools in large tribs and leave on the spring freshets), or they were males getting a jump on the spawn (I've seen males showing signs of aggression as early as August).

Quick Reply