Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Mar 12, 2012March 12th, 2012, 9:44 am EDT

In light of the numerous topics presented lately, in identifying various insects to the species level, a lot of specific nomenclature has been used to describe external morphology. I don’t think that I’m alone in admitting that I often have to refer to my meager library or the internet for explanation. I enjoy following the discussions, but at times I’m lost for word definition because I lack the required textbooks or the necessary internet site addresses for reference. I think that it would be beneficial for those of us wanting to further our understanding and to enter into a more detailed discussion if we had available on this site a picture or drawing type of diagram depicting the various body parts by name and a glossary of terms. As an example I would point to chapter two in Patrick McCafferty’s “Aquatic Entomology”, but I think even more expansion in further detail would be welcome. I have no idea how much work would be involved and maybe it would be deemed not worth the effort. Any comments, or am I all alone on this? Just curious.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Mar 12, 2012March 12th, 2012, 1:10 pm EDT
if we had available on this site a picture or drawing type of diagram depicting the various body parts by name and a glossary of terms.

Heck of an idea, Al. Although we already have a glossary, it would be nice to have it greatly expanded and attached to diagrams. Another thing that has been discussed is putting a taxonomy section in the hatch pages for listing significant morphological details. You're right about it being a lot of work though.

Of course the ultimate would be an interactive key with photos and all the tough words linked to the glossary. Lets hope someday:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Mar 13, 2012March 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm EDT
How about a library?
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Mar 13, 2012March 13th, 2012, 7:12 pm EDT
Good idea as well, Eric. The problem is links to docs in the public domain come & go so maintaining it would be a PITA after awhile. Also, a lot of the really good stuff isn't in the public domain and we'd run afoul of a lot of copyrights if we posted the material directly.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Mar 14, 2012March 14th, 2012, 3:57 am EDT
Yeah I thought of that too. Even if we put together a bibliography, say by family, it would be helpful.
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Mar 14, 2012March 14th, 2012, 7:49 am EDT
In the past, if I wanted to get more detailed (rarely) I have used this mayfly anatomy reference...

http://fishermonk.com/programs/keys/shortkey.html#ANATOMY

Quick Reply