Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 14, 2012January 14th, 2012, 7:27 am EST
Fly fishers like Kurt, Lastchance, me, and any others here who can "sense" the take are wizards - like 10th degree Jedi nymphers! Something all others can aspire to attain. Hehehe.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Doublespey
Doublespey on Jan 14, 2012January 14th, 2012, 8:58 am EST

Those senser dudes that rely on carma you've gotta question. End up jerkin their line all the time gettin false vibes. Best sense I have is to know when it is lunch time...put in at 9AM and by 10 it's time.
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Jan 15, 2012January 15th, 2012, 9:32 am EST
Interesting stuff. When i am fishing faster runs on larger bodies of water, i feel that the indicator is key. This is particularly true when making long casts directly upstream. I will usually fish the indicator, like it was mentioned earlier, relatively close to my fly line. On smaller bodies of water with spookish trout, i feel that indicators can scare fish more easily. Different situations call for different methods, and i guess it's safe to say that being prepared for all of them is key.
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 15, 2012January 15th, 2012, 10:05 am EST
It takes time to develop systems for all that nature dishes out. The key is knowing how moving water works, how trout operate in it, and then adapting a tethered hook to it all. Lotsa good ideas out there, but you have to experiment with and practice to make them work for you.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jan 15, 2012January 15th, 2012, 9:05 pm EST
Amen, Paul.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Jan 16, 2012January 16th, 2012, 8:03 am EST
In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit...Amen!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Goose
Goose on Jan 17, 2012January 17th, 2012, 6:10 am EST

Those senser dudes that rely on carma you've gotta question. End up jerkin their line all the time gettin false vibes. Best sense I have is to know when it is lunch time...put in at 9AM and by 10 it's time.

Well, my mother always said I was a jerk!
Strmanglr
Strmanglr's profile picture
Strmanglr on Jan 17, 2012January 17th, 2012, 7:29 am EST
Trout fishing-never use an indicator, always using a big dry. Sucks when your poly yarn gets a hit.

Salmon/Steelheading-use the sticker foam, it has a bright side out, peel it off and fold it over on the leader.

I was interested to read this thread. The foam stickers don't have the adjustability of other indicators and they often don't come off clean and takes a little work. I like to use them because they are so light and have little wind drag.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 17, 2012January 17th, 2012, 12:16 pm EST
Bruce, As a competition fisherman who was first tutored by Joe Humphreys and George Harvey, then went on to meet and fish with some of the best in Europe, George Daniels explains how to nymph many different kinds of water using many different methods. He appears to always use some kind of indicator, but his indicators vary widely, as do his presentation styles. Anyone who is interested will learn a bit, and perhaps more, from his excellent book, Dynamic Nymphing . I think you'd like it.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jan 17, 2012January 17th, 2012, 1:27 pm EST
Yep, I'm going to buy a copy of George's book. He knows of what he speaks.
Doublespey
Doublespey on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 3:36 am EST
When I read the George part I thought of an outstanding nympher that had a shop in Montana....George Anderson. The guy was an outstanding nymph fisherman, and was published a lot..turned his attention to salt water fishing, and may have located in Florida...dunno, lost contact with him.

Quick Reply