Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 24, 2017July 24th, 2017, 10:38 am EDT
Just a heads up to anyone living near a Gander Mountain. If you are not already aware they are having some amazing sales on everything in the store.

Today I bought two Scientific "Master Textured Series" Nymph/Indicator lines. They list for $85 each and I paid $25 for each line. One is a #6 and the other a #7. I bought them pretty much solely to use for my Erie steelheading as I nymph at least 95% of the time with and without an indicator. The body of the line is "willow" color and a few feet of the tip is orange to "help see takes". Kind of a funny statement relative to steelheading since when a fish eats the nymph there is absolutely no doubt that a fish took the fly.

The fishing shirts are also on sale. I already own too many of those Supplex type nylon long sleeve shirts but I did buy two heavy cotton to layer for the fall trips before it gets really cold. $10.00 per shirt for the cotton and $20 for the nylon that are normally $40.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jul 24, 2017July 24th, 2017, 2:16 pm EDT
Thanks Matt, guess I may visit the Flint store only about a 20 mile drive. I remember when the orginal Flint store opened, I was on third shift and stopped on the way home, I was one the first there. It was very exciting to have a cool sporting good store so close to home. Boy things sure went down hill in a hurry.
Mike.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 26, 2017July 26th, 2017, 9:05 am EDT
Thanks for the heads up, Matt. Was able to get a nice nylon summer fishing shirt and nylon walking shorts at the Frisco TX store for 50% off. Although I had expected to find the inventory seriously depleted by the "Going Out Of Business" sale, that was certainly not the case.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 28, 2017July 28th, 2017, 4:56 am EDT
I think that management is bringing in inventory from other stores that aren't moving it quickly enough. There was actually more clothing at my store than when I went there about three months ago after I first had heard they were closing.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply