Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 11, 2006November 11th, 2006, 6:49 am EST
There are some kind words about the forum format in one of the other topics. I wanted to say thanks for those without steering that topic off its productive course, so I'm making a new post.

I'm really glad you guys are enjoying and using the forum. I wrote it from scratch for a few reasons, but one of them was that I wanted to make it really simple and to the point. All the normal high-end forum software has a million features for rating posts, sixty types of smileys, and enough BBcode options to program a nuclear missile. Combined I use those features about once a year.

For this one I wanted to get back to basics: name, date, post. And I added some things other forums don't have, like integration with the prey library, which are hopefully more useful than the flashy bells and whistles.

A Question

Do you like the line height of the text right now? That is the vertical distance between one line and the next. Compare this forum post to the mayflies page to see what I mean: the forum uses the default spacing, and the mayfly article uses expanded spacing. I'm thinking of expanding the spacing on forum posts too.

It would probably be easier on the eye, but there would be more scrolling. What do you guys prefer?

Suggestions

Does anyone have anything they'd really like to see changed or added to the forum?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Nov 16, 2006November 16th, 2006, 8:34 am EST
I hope the crickets chirping tells you what people think you should do to improve the website, Jason. Nice job.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Nov 16, 2006November 16th, 2006, 9:24 am EST
Do you like the line height of the text right now?

Jason-

Actually, now that you mention it, I would prefer the expanded line spacing as on the mayflies page. But that's just my old eyes speaking.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 16, 2006November 16th, 2006, 12:09 pm EST
I hope the crickets chirping tells you what people think you should do to improve the website, Jason. Nice job.

Hmm, you know, you're right... maybe I should expand the crickets section. :)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply