Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Case view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
It's only barely visible in one of my pictures, but I confirmed under the microscope that this one has a prosternal horn and the antennae are mid-way between the eyes and front of the head capsule.

I'm calling this one Pycnopsyche, but it's a bit perplexing. It seems to key definitively to at least Couplet 8 of the Key to Genera of Limnephilidae Larvae. That narrows it down to three genera, and the case seems wrong for the other two. The case looks right for Pycnopsyche, and it fits one of the key characteristics: "Abdominal sternum II without chloride epithelium and abdominal segment IX with only single seta on each side of dorsal sclerite." However, the characteristic "metanotal sa1 sclerites not fused, although often contiguous" does not seem to fit well. Those sclerites sure look fused to me, although I can make out a thin groove in the touching halves in the anterior half under the microscope. Perhaps this is a regional variation.

The only species of Pycnopsyche documented in Washington state is Pycnopsyche guttifera, and the colors and markings around the head of this specimen seem to match very well a specimen of that species from Massachusetts on Bugguide. So I am placing it in that species for now.

Whatever species this is, I photographed another specimen of seemingly the same species from the same spot a couple months later.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Millcreek has attached these 7 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Intermediate instar. Approximately 10 mm. case length.
Intermediate instar. Approximately 10 mm. case length.
Late instars. Approximately 20 mm.
Late instar. Approximately 20 mm.
Side sclerites. One way to distinguish from other species.
Case. Late instar. Approximately 20 mm.
Case. Late instar. Approximately 20 mm.
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Mar 23, 2015March 23rd, 2015, 3:57 pm EDT
These larvae are found in slack water and pools in Mill Creek (tributary to the Russian River). They begin to show around March and are pretty much gone by September. The cases change from small ones with redwood or Douglas fir needles to larger ones incorporating pieces of bark, small pieces of gravel and relatively large sticks.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Mar 23, 2015March 23rd, 2015, 6:09 pm EDT
looks like at least two species there - the one at the top has banded legs. There are lots of species that are quite difficult to separate. It is likely that many records have been mis-determined. Most species don't have adequately described larvae.
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Mar 23, 2015March 23rd, 2015, 6:59 pm EDT
Yeah, the one at the top apparently is different. It would be interesting to
see if they change as they get older. Other than the banded legs they appear quite similar.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Mar 23, 2015March 23rd, 2015, 8:08 pm EDT
I don't think things like leg banding coloration will change. The color patterns should get more distinct with later instars. Most changes will occur with the addition/size of secondary setae/gills with later instars.
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Mar 23, 2015March 23rd, 2015, 8:39 pm EDT
Interesting. I'm going to have to go back to my vials and see if I can find some with banded legs as later instars. Also see if other changes occur. I'll keep you posted.
-Albert Einstein
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Mar 24, 2015March 24th, 2015, 2:41 am EDT
nice
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Mar 24, 2015March 24th, 2015, 8:38 am EDT
I went back and looked through my vials. Found the original one with banded legs. It was the only one out of about 70 with banded legs. Either an aberration or another species. The others of that age range were quite close in appearance except for the legs.
-Albert Einstein
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Mar 24, 2015March 24th, 2015, 4:34 pm EDT
The "non-mammalian protrooberances" are different too. The dorsal hump on the first is nearly a spike. Nifty.
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Mar 24, 2015March 24th, 2015, 7:37 pm EDT
The "non-mammalian protrooberances" are different too. The dorsal hump on the first is nearly a spike.

The "protooberances" are the same on all early instars. They get blunter as the larva matures.
-Albert Einstein
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Mar 25, 2015March 25th, 2015, 11:07 am EDT
The spacing humps of the 1st abdominal segment ("non-mammalian protrooberances" thought to be useful in respiration) are highly flexible, muscled, and, when viewed closely, have many small scales, setae, etc. They are retractile/extensile and, as such,the shape would be expected to be highly variable within both live and preserved material. I am not aware of the actual shape of the spacing humps having been used for taxonomic significance although their presence/absence, setation, scleritization, etc. is often used.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 25, 2015March 25th, 2015, 7:45 pm EDT
"non-mammalian protrooberances"

OK guys, I jut have to laugh...does this remind anyone else of Frank Zappa??? LOL seriously!!!

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply