Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Dorsal view of a Cambaridae Crayfish Juvenile from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
DMM
DMM on Nov 29, 2006November 29th, 2006, 2:39 pm EST
Cambaridae--probably Orconectes--your two crayfish could be Cambarus or Procambarus though--need pleopod pictures
David
RALPH
RALPH on Sep 27, 2007September 27th, 2007, 7:53 pm EDT
I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE SCIENTIFIC NAME
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 28, 2007September 28th, 2007, 1:09 am EDT
Ralph-

I believe what David indicated was that the photos don't have a view of the body part(s) necessary to reliably identify it to genus, let alone species, so he confirmed the family is Cambaridae, and indicated it was probably of genus Orconectes, but could also be genus Cambarus or Procambarus.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Gene
Gene on Sep 28, 2007September 28th, 2007, 9:58 am EDT
As Taxon stated you must have morphological features to identify. However, if you wish to impress your friends you could just call it:

Crayfishus vulgarus or Crayfishus mother@#$%us!

tight lines and stay away from those pinchers

gene

www.eugenemacri.com
Sayfu
Sayfu on Nov 21, 2011November 21st, 2011, 10:47 am EST
When referring to the pincers...do they indicate the sex of a crayfish? One big claw, and they are males? I vaguely remember something about this, or just a pipe dream?
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 22, 2011November 22nd, 2011, 7:07 am EST
Sayfu, that applies to hermit crabs, the males have one giant claw and the other is tiny...but as far as I know, not to crayfish.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Nov 22, 2011November 22nd, 2011, 7:18 am EST
Crayfish are notorious for stealing appendages from each other. Fish and other critters can chomp them off as well. They regenerate fairly fast and mud-bugs can often be found with claws of various sizes.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply