Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 12, 2011October 12th, 2011, 1:15 pm EDT
The Erie, and western NY, tributaries are going to have a significant rain event from today through Saturday. I'd love to go up very very late Sunday night, fish Monday to whenever the flows drop or the fishing falls off but no longer than Saturday 10/22. Would like to share expenses for gas, lodging, driving or if you prefer to take your own vehicle then share lodging expenses. I've been doing the tribs for three years now and while I don't know every spot on every river I do know lots of good places on Elk and Twenty Mile. PM me if interested. I'm going come Hell or high water.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 12, 2011October 12th, 2011, 2:05 pm EDT
Matt, love to go. Gotta work. Can't wait until retirement. Tight lines!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Oct 12, 2011October 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm EDT
Damn I'm jealous of you retired types!!!! Although right now I am happy to have a job to get in th eway of my fishing.

In other words wish I could take you up on it but I have to work.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 12, 2011October 12th, 2011, 3:06 pm EDT
Hi John,

You wrote; "Although right now I am happy to have a job to get in the way of my fishing."

There was a time, when I first retired, where I wouldn't be worrying about how much the trip would cost me if I had to go alone. For 2011 I've lost a ton of money on paper and I have to be able to justify lengthy trips away from home that require lodging, eating out, and filling the tank a couple of times. Hopefully this last quarter will at least give me a break even year rather than a negative one.

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Oct 12, 2011October 12th, 2011, 6:00 pm EDT
Hopefully this last quarter will at least give me a break even year rather than a negative one.

You and me both, Matt!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Oct 13, 2011October 13th, 2011, 7:58 am EDT
It's worth spending the time to identify streams of diff sizes, and sources, as each clears on its own timetable. You can follow peak conditions around that way. Yeah, and avoid the weekends.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Oct 13, 2011October 13th, 2011, 10:39 am EDT
Matt,

Sure wished I could go with you. Sounds like a great trip.

Spence -

You know how we poo-pooed the super hi-tech gizmos that will probably be available in the future? DNA analyzers, insta-identifiers, fishing advise and such, all from an I-phone type device? Well, I would modify my opinion if it had a teleport feature! :)

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 13, 2011October 13th, 2011, 12:22 pm EDT
Yes, I'm aware that many of the Erie and western NY streams drop, and clear, at different rates, and I try and fish them accordingly. Sometimes though if I can get on a trib that is at that perfect emerald green color and there are lots of fish I usually just stay there. It is like th other adage I follow "Never leave rising fish to look for other rising fish".
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Oct 13, 2011October 13th, 2011, 12:45 pm EDT
perfect emerald green color

Ooooohhh...just gets your heart going doesn't it? Can't get into those waders fast enough.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 13, 2011October 13th, 2011, 1:40 pm EDT
Yeah, that is the color for uninhibited action! Look at the color of the water behind me in this photo. How come my pictures are transferring so small? They use to be much larger.

Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Oct 13, 2011October 13th, 2011, 6:04 pm EDT
Well, I would modify my opinion if it had a teleport feature! :)

Kurt,

You don't know how many times I have thought the same thing...It would seem like we had lived a whole extra lifetime if we could only get back the time we have spent in an automobile trying to get somewhere. Or waiting for the wives...;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Oct 13, 2011October 13th, 2011, 6:07 pm EDT
How come my pictures are transferring so small? They use to be much larger.

Matt,

We did this to you on purpose...The psychologists have another phrase for it but we will just call it fish envy...We are just trying to cut your Hogs down to a managable size ;).

Spence

Quick Reply