Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jan 24, 2011January 24th, 2011, 10:05 am EST
Hey Spence, I have one more seat on the Gulf Stream, trust me it’s all first class, if you prefer I can move you to the cockpit, but you’ll have to take the right seat. The barbour jacket, hardy Gold Sovereign reel and Bob Somers cane rod are not required, but I’m sure the guys wouldn’t mind the company. The hours spent at 30,000+ feet can get rather boring with all the talk of fly fishing passing around the cabin, and you’ll be expected to contribute to the conversation. But I warn you, these guys are good at passing BS as fact, which is often true, of the typical fisherman……….you know……..a tendency to exaggerate.

I hope you all catch my drift, and take light in the fact that I to, often times, speak with tongue in cheek. Just my feeble way of injecting sarcasm by taking the opposite view point. Damn Spence, you had me pegged from the beginning.

I was carrying on Falsefly's notion and he and I are going to jet off sometime to Patagonia together. Eat caviar and drink champagne in the evening and smack trout during the day...Read Cosmo during our down time.

Sounds like fun to me, just let me know when you’re ready and I’ll have the Gulf Stream warmed up and ready to go.

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."

Quick Reply