Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Nov 5, 2010November 5th, 2010, 5:27 am EDT
I fished Tricos up to the 9th and 10th of October. The following weekend, Oct. 15 and 16th, I went fishing again and I stopped to check on the tricos. They were in the air, but there were fewer of them.I decided before I left the house that morning that I was going to nymph that day so I move on to another part of the stream. I believe I could have fished them that day.

Tony and I had a great time this year. We had a blast fishing the day the olives and tricos showed up together. Of course, not being much of a dry fly thrower, if he wouldn't have been there it would have never dawned on me to look for olives. I learned something that day.

Bruce
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 6, 2010November 6th, 2010, 8:03 am EDT
Way cool, Bruce. Tight lines.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Bobbyg
North Carolina

Bobbyg on Nov 6, 2010November 6th, 2010, 9:26 am EDT
Why didn't you give the tricos a go if you had earlier success with them?

Personally, I don't ever tie on a fly until I've prospected the water to hopefully see what's happening fly-wise. The exception being my small mountain streams that can't support an extended large hatch.

Just me, you do what you feel is best.

Bob
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

- Henry David Thoreau
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Nov 6, 2010November 6th, 2010, 10:03 am EDT
BobbyG: Quite frankly, after fishing tricos and olives for about 2 months I began to get bored with dry fly fishing. I missed nymphing and I decided that's what I was going to do that day. I'm like you I usually look around to see what's going on, but I made up my mind I wanted to nymph. It's not always about catching every last fish. There are times when I'm catching fish consistently with one or two certain flies and I clip them off and experiment with other flies. That's part of the fun. Thanks you for allowing me to do what I feel is best.
Bruce
Bobbyg
North Carolina

Bobbyg on Nov 7, 2010November 7th, 2010, 11:39 am EST
Lastchance,

I apologize if I offended you.

That certainly was not my intent. I agree the fishing experience is indeed more than catching fish. I personally just like to give myself the optimum fish-catching edge.

I love fishing the dry fly and suppose I overlooked others that are not so consumed with them.

As I said, just me, and when it comes to the dry versus a nymph, I personally will fish the dry every time.

Best fishes for the balance of the year!

Bob
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

- Henry David Thoreau
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Nov 8, 2010November 8th, 2010, 4:25 am EST
I wasn't offended. It would take a lot more than that to offend me.
Bruce
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 8, 2010November 8th, 2010, 10:56 am EST
Hmmmm. Sounds like a challenge, Bruce. Now, I'm sure one of us Troutnuts is up to the task. I'd take a first crack, but is seems that should be left to Tony. :)

--Fred Chappell
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Nov 8, 2010November 8th, 2010, 2:49 pm EST
Bruce is a poopy-head.
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Nov 9, 2010November 9th, 2010, 11:01 am EST
Am not a poopy head.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 9, 2010November 9th, 2010, 12:07 pm EST
Weak. Come on, where's Tony?

--Fred Chappell
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Nov 9, 2010November 9th, 2010, 2:08 pm EST
hey! paul you diaper eater-
if you call my bestest friend a poopy-head again i'm tellin' jason!!
he's not a poopy head. he's a nymph fisherman - even during a hatch...
and bobbyg -
nobody likes you
everybody hates you
why not go fish worms
;)
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Nov 9, 2010November 9th, 2010, 11:24 pm EST
Uh, oh. The big guns are out now. Pretty soon I expect someone to triple-dog dare someone else to a fishing contest.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Nov 10, 2010November 10th, 2010, 4:35 am EST
Poopy head was all I could think of! I'm out. Call me a lightweight.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Nov 10, 2010November 10th, 2010, 7:49 am EST
You can just about tell when a thread has run its course...It just sort of poops out!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 10, 2010November 10th, 2010, 10:17 am EST
O poop. I guess you're right, Spence.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply