Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Dec 13, 2012December 13th, 2012, 2:57 pm EST
Hey Hey. Im making a run for the Big Spring Creek in PA's heart here in a week or so to meet a buddy for a day of fishing by the FLY. Any pointers on what to use in order to entice some of those fish or where to fish. I have never even been before?
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 13, 2012December 13th, 2012, 4:01 pm EST
Jesse, I hope JohnW or Eric N. chime in as I haven't fished Big Spring very many times, but generally you'll find the fishable spots easily as most of them are from the head down a couple of miles. There are 3 or 4 easily noted parking lots and you can sight fish as the water is exceptionally clear. Cress bugs, scuds, small p.t.'s, midges and streamers typically are recommended. Gene Macri has a podcast for B. Spring on his website on the right side of the page, and he gives a lot of information.

http://www.limestoner.com/About-Gene-Macri.html

John uses a white streamer some, I think, perhaps a Shenk Minnow. Sculpins also work.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Dec 14, 2012December 14th, 2012, 12:41 pm EST
Hey Jesse, Louis pretty much summed it up. If you have a good cress bug pattern those Big Spring rainbows will eat it. The upper sections of the stream are the best (generally upstream from Oak Flat Rd.) there are fish below that but I think the upper sections will fish better for you. It is pretty much all sight fishing. Those fish see a lot of flies. You may see some midges if your lucky. Have fun! There are some big fish there!

Eric
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Dec 16, 2012December 16th, 2012, 3:05 pm EST
Hey Hey every little bit helps. Sounds like a pretty touchy place ha. Any more info floating around out there?
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Risenfly
Risenfly's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Risenfly on Dec 18, 2012December 18th, 2012, 10:23 am EST
This time of year bring some midges and small BWO's. On a fairly overcast day you may get a small hatch there. Don't beat yourself up over the big bows that you can plainly see. Go after some faster moving water and get some confidence before moving to the ditch or other slower water. That will kick your butt any day of the week!

Have fun and learn something.
www.risenfly.com

Fly reels, lines, boxes and accessories. Rods coming in 2014!

Quick Reply