Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Grammotaulius betteni (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This is a striking caddis larva with an interesting color pattern on the head. Here are some characteristics I was able to see under the microscope, but could not easily expose for a picture:
- The prosternal horn is present.
- The mandible is clearly toothed, not formed into a uniform scraper blade.
- The seems to be only 2 major setae on the ventral edge of the hind femur.
- Chloride epithelia seem to be absent from the dorsal side of any abdominal segments.
Based on these characteristics and the ones more easily visible from the pictures, this seems to be Grammotaulius. The key's description of the case is spot-on: "Case cylindrical, made of longitudinally arranged sedge or similar leaves," as is the description of the markings on the head, "Dorsum of head light brownish yellow with numerous discrete, small, dark spots." The spot pattern on the head is a very good match to figure 19.312 of Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019). The species ID is based on Grammotaulius betteni being the only species of this genus known in Washington state.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Ericd
Mpls, MN

Ericd on Sep 28, 2010September 28th, 2010, 3:31 pm EDT
Hey All,

The last time I went out with a guide I was told that my casting technique was going to wreak havoc on my rotator cuff, especially if I was going to be fishing five days straight, which I was. A few excursions earlier, I had been fishing the high sticking method with an indicator and my shoulder hasn't quite recovered from doing that for several hours. I am grateful for this guide's keen observation skills and his lessons on how better to rest my shoulder while casting, with constant reminders all day. I think I'm doing much better but I am dreadfully scared that I am going to mess up my casting arm permanently because I continue to feel a strain in my shoulder that I unwisely shrug off when the fish are swallowing my flies. A doctor may ask me to rate the pain from one to ten with ten being unbearable and I would rate it about a four.

Do you have any really great arm stretches that work well for you that I can do before, during and after a day on the river...or, does anyone know of any great chiropractor fly fisherpeople in the Minneapolis area?

I'm 32 for crying out loud!

Eric

(I don't know how I posted this in the fly tying forum, sorry.)
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Sep 28, 2010September 28th, 2010, 4:23 pm EDT
here is the best stretch I know for exactly what ails you. my rotator cuff suffered a tear some years back and a therapist helped me avoid surgery with this:

holding a dish towel in your hand, reach up behind your head and as far down the back of your neck as you can. maybe you can even reach the top of your back.

with your other hand, reach up your back from the bottom, trying to grab the towel. when you get it, hold that stretch GENTLY for 30 seconds or so. DO NOT pull too hard. you will feel it most strongly in the arm reaching up from the bottom.

now do it the other way around, holding the towel in the other hand.

if you do this faithfully, you will stretch out all the damage each day. eventually you may actually manage to touch the two hands, which is what i can do, but it's not required.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Sep 29, 2010September 29th, 2010, 6:13 am EDT
I strained something in my elbow a few years ago, catching big largemouths. My Doc's first case of Basser's Elbow. He told me not to use it until it healed or I'd been in for surgery. He gave me a neoprene and velcro armband type brace, and a bottle of Alieve.

I wasn't about to stop fishing, and I wasn't going to have surgery, so I learned to fish left handed. OMG, what a trip. It was like having an experienced teacher and a newb in the same body! I eventually got proficient fishing left. I can also mouse with my left hand, to avoid carpel tunnel. Haven't learned to fly-fish left yet though, but it sure would be useful.

Good luck with it.
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Sep 29, 2010September 29th, 2010, 10:01 am EDT
I've also struggled w/ the shoulder thing, tennis elbow, you name it!!I've been practicing casting lefty as well to try to take some pressure off my right. I don't cast great but I can do it good enough to get it out there 30-35ft w/ my left.It helps to be able to use both I think to avoid strains like the aforementioned!
Ericd
Mpls, MN

Ericd on Sep 29, 2010September 29th, 2010, 3:52 pm EDT
Thanks for the tip, Casey. I guess it's no wonder that I'm not the only one with "fly fishers shoulder."

My local trout season ends tomorrow and tonight I had some of the best fishing of the year. My friend and I were fishing almost identical flies and methods and he caught one to my many. Sorry friend, but it was fun listening to you curse at your tangles and misses while I was having the time of my life.

Eric
Afishinado
SE PA

Afishinado on Sep 30, 2010September 30th, 2010, 1:08 am EDT
CaseyP,

Thanks for the stretching exercise you posted. I have a RC injury and it really bothers me when I FF a lot, especially with heavier weight rods and often when doing a lot of high-sticking on the stream. I've taught myself to cast left handed (I'm a righty) for when my shoulder really bothers me. Actually, I've found it quite handy to cast lefty in some situations on the stream, even when my shoulder is fine. Any way, thanks again for your post, I'll give it a try.
Ditch
Ditch's profile picture
Fuquay-Varina NC

Ditch on Sep 30, 2010September 30th, 2010, 3:09 am EDT
as an aside I am left handed and right eyed for shooting I have always been somewhat ambidextrous and have found that it is interesting to to try the other hand if you can't get the fly in the target zone because of cover. it is also useful for teaching the kids I have one daughter who is left and one right handed this allows me to show them in their dominate hand rather than having them change over. (it also was nice when i picked up a antique Orvis reel that did not convert to right hand crank to be able to go at it both ways.

Listening to the rain and waiting for the trout.

Philip
There are no bad fishing days.
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Sep 30, 2010September 30th, 2010, 5:40 am EDT
Something else that you can do, and thats much simpler but helps is before you fish once your already geared up; roatate your arms in small circles forward and progressively make your circles lager. Then once their wide do the same thing except going backwards. It's quick and easy and will help warm your shoulder muscles up. I do it before i know i will be having a long day on the water. Hope everything goes well bud!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com

Quick Reply