Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Apr 11, 2009April 11th, 2009, 1:09 am EDT
Just uploaded a new video on YouTube about fly fishing in the Fall and Winter in Central New York! It is mostly a slideshow of pictures (since this is the photography section of the forum), with some video mixed in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6W8johWABI

Some users might recognize some shots in the video. It was mostly shot in the Utica and Cortland areas of New York. Enjoy!
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Apr 11, 2009April 11th, 2009, 2:27 am EDT
Sweet. Man, those are some huge and beautiful fish. I love winter fishing, and I love Central NY. Sometimes, when the weather is really nice and the stream is crawling with people, I find myself wishing it was January.

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Apr 11, 2009April 11th, 2009, 5:50 am EDT
Thanks, Shawn. I know what you're saying about the streams being crowded. A stretch of water in the spring one day will be almost shoulder to shoulder, but on a 20 or 30 degree day - nothing but solitude! Glad you enjoyed it and I can't for the summer.

Artie
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 12, 2009April 12th, 2009, 9:46 am EDT
BIG FISH! Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a great season.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
DOS
Buffalo, NY

DOS on Apr 12, 2009April 12th, 2009, 9:48 am EDT
Very cool! Love some of those A. salmon
Andrew Nisbet

Quick Reply